The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2013 Science and Service Awards for the Treatment of Opioid-related Disorders.
This award is part of an initiative created by SAMHSA to recognize excellence in opioid treatment programs and providers who use medications approved by the FDA for the treatment of opioid-related disorders, and who have successfully implemented innovative services and/or practices that resulted in improved patient outcomes. Of particular interest for this award was the implementation of services and practices that support SAMHSA’s priorities: recovery support services, integrated behavioral and primary health care services, hepatitis prevention and treatment services, availability of FDA approved medications for the treatment of opioid dependence, practices that encourage patient choice in treatment planning, administrative practices that promote retention, access to care, and service/cost effectiveness and efficiency, and the use of electronic health records.
Each application was reviewed by three members of a panel of experts and scored using a standardized scoring tool. Ten awards were made, five in each of two categories: Opioid Treatment Programs and Office-based Opioid Treatment.
The award recipients are:
- For Office-Based Opioid Treatment:
For Opioid Treatment Program:
- Barre Family Health Center & Worcester Family Medicine Residency, Barre MA
- Peter Rostenberg, MD, New Fairfield, CT
- The Project Renewal Primary Care Medical Program, New York, NY
- John M. Thorp, Jr. , MD, Chapel Hill, NC
- Washington County Health Department, Division of Behavioral Health Services, Hagerstown, MD
- Drug Abuse Comprehensive Coordinating Office, Opiate Addiction Treatment Services, Tampa, FL
- F. Cornelius Ogundele, PhD, Chicago, Illinois
- Addiction Services At Hopkins Bayview, Baltimore, MD
- New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, Kings County Center Opioid Treatment Program, Brooklyn, NY
- Sharon Dembinski, Lewisville, TX
For more information on the winning innovations, please go to: www.samhsa.gov/Scienceandservice/index.aspx.
Last updated: 05/28/2013