The following is a listing of available books, articles, and relevant websites:
- Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-centered Care for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Community at the Joint Commission – 2011 is a guide for hospital staff to help integrate concepts from the communication, cultural competence, and patient- and family-centered care fields into organizations.
- Culturally Competent Approaches for Serving Asian and Pacific Islander Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Populations in California at Gil Gerald & Associates – 2009 (PDF | 1 MB) offers best practices for serving the Asian and Pacific Islander LGBTQ population, including terms and identities, health disparities, family issues, and ways to create a welcoming environment.
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding at the Institute of Medicine – 2011 is an evaluation of the current health status of the LGBTQ population that was done for the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The evaluation was intended to help NIH identify the research gaps and opportunities with this population and outline a research agenda.
- Health Reform for LGBT Americans: The Affordable Care Act Gives LGBT Americans Greater Control Over Their Own Health Care at The White House – 2010 (PDF | 40 KB) highlights some benefits of the Affordable Care Act to the LGBTQ population.
- The Joint Commission’s Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals – Provisions Related to the Care of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Patients and Their Families at PFLAG.org – 2010 (PDF | 50 KB) summarizes the general nondiscrimination standard and recommendations relating to sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. Also, find excerpts from the publication organized by general topic and with page references.
- Leading Change: A Plan for SAMHSA’s Roles and Actions 2011-2014 introduces eight strategic initiatives to build strong communities for people with mental and substance use disorders and their families, prevent behavioral health issues, and promote better health for all Americans.
- Leading Change 2.0: Advancing the Behavioral Health of the Nation 2015-2018 introduces six SAMHSA strategic initiatives to increase awareness and understanding of mental and substance use disorders, promote wellness, increase access to effective treatment, and support recovery.
- Leading Health Indicators for Healthy People 2020 – Letter Report at the Institute of Medicine – 2011 (PDF | 5 MB) is an evaluation of the Healthy People 2020 initiative of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Lesbian Health: Current Assessment and Directions for the Future at the National Academies Press – 1999 is a book that examines issues affecting the study of lesbian health, including political pressures, community attitudes, and professional concerns. The book also looks at the potential to transfer findings in the lesbian health field to other population groups, such as rare populations and women in general.
- LGBT Terminology & Cultural Information at Out & Equal Workplace Advocates – 2011 (PDF | 2 MB) provides a listing of terms and definitions on orientation, gender, and birth sex. Also, find LGBTQ symbols and major LGBT celebrations.
- Same-sex Couple Households: American Community Survey Briefs at Census.gov – 2011 (PDF | 871 KB) is one of a series of Census reports on same-sex couple households at the national and state levels.
- Same-sex Couples in U.S. Census Bureau Data: Who Gets Counted and Why at the California Center for Population Research, University of California, Los Angeles – 2010 (PDF | 3 MB) highlights key findings of a national survey of cohabitating same-sex couples. The survey was designed to show if and how same-sex couples completed their Census 2010 forms and why they chose specific options to identify their relationship.
- Substance Misuse Among Elder Gay Men at Gil Gerald & Associates – 2010 (PDF | 1.5 MB) addresses older gay men ages 60 and up who suffer from higher rates of substance misuse than straight men.
- Suicide Risk and Prevention for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth at the Suicide Prevention Resource Center – 2008 covers the high risk of suicidal behavior among LBGTQ youth and offers recommendations to help reduce this risks.
- Fenway Health provides comprehensive health care, research, education, and advocacy to enhance the wellbeing of LGBTQ populations, people living with HIV/AIDS, and the broader population.
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) Health Access Project provides training, technical assistance, and materials to service providers in Massachusetts to improve their understanding of the GLBT population and their health needs, and to create welcoming environments for both staff and clients.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health at HealthyPeople.gov aims to improve the health, safety, and well-being of LGBTQ individuals.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers resources for the consumers, public health professionals, and public health students on health issues and inequities affecting LGBTQ populations.
- National Coalition for LGBT Health is led by HealthHIV, a national nonprofit working to advance effective prevention, care, and support for people living with, or at risk for, HIV and the hepatitis C virus. The Coalition’s website provides resources organized by topic.
- SAMHSA’s Office of Behavioral Health Equity (OBHE) works to reduce mental health and substance misuse disparities and improve access to quality care.