Integrated Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders Evidence-Based Practices KIT
SAMHSA is committed to closing the gap that persists between research and practice. To achieve this, SAMHSA has developed a series of KITs to helps states, communities, and organizations interested in moving best practices into the field.
In January 2010, SAMHSA released the Integrated Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders KIT. In evidence-based Integrated Treatment programs, consumers receive combined treatment for mental illnesses and substance use disorders from the same practitioner or treatment team. Key elements of integrated treatment include:
- Integrated services
- Cross-trained practitioners
- Stage-wise treatment
- Motivational interventions
- Cognitive-behavioral approach
- Multiple formats
- Integrated medication services
SAMHSA's KIT delivers information in multiple ways including guidelines, videos, PowerPoint slides, and practice workbooks. It includes six core components, highlighted below:
Getting Started with EBPs
- Consensus building: Build support for change
- Integrate the EBP into policies and procedures
- Assess training needs
- Monitor and evaluate regularly
- Maximize effectiveness by making services culturally competent
Building Your Program
- What is integrated treatment for co-occurring disorders?
- Tips for mental health and substance abuse authorities
- Tips for agency administrators and program leaders
Training Frontline Staff
- Basic elements and practice principles
- Practical knowledge of common substances
- Stages of treatment and core processes
- Practical skills for integrated treatment
- Service formats
Evaluating Your Program
- Why evaluate your integrated treatment program?
- Conduct a readiness assessment
- Conduct process assessments
- Conduct outcomes monitoring
- Use data to improve your integrated treatment program
Using Multimedia to Introduce Your EBP
- Introductory video
- Sample brochure
- Introductory PowerPoint presentation
- Review of research literature
- Selected bibliography
A portal to the seven booklet series with a brief description of the KIT.
Substance Abuse Treatment For Persons With Co-Occurring Disorders Inservice Training based on Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) 42
This COD curriculum consists of 18 modules and includes presentation instructions, PowerPoint slides (that can be copied onto overhead transparencies), trainer scripts, and participant handouts. The training approach includes presentations, discussion sessions, and practice exercises for participants.
At the Crossroads: Examining the Intersection of Care for Persons with Mental and Substance-Use Conditions
This is a webcast exploring barriers to effective treatment for people with co-occurring disorders. Includes recommendations for service coordination and other steps to treatment improvement for co-occurring disorders.
Other available SAMHSA KITs include Assertive Community Treatment, Permanent Supportive Housing, Supported Employment, and Family Psychoeducation,. To download or order any of these KITs, visit the SAMHSA Publications Ordering Website.