- Inhalants were reported as the primary substance of abuse by 0.1 percent of TEDS
admissions (Table 3.2).
- Admissions for inhalant abuse were generally male (74%). While 68 percent of inhalant
admissions were non-Hispanic white, the next most common racial/ethnic groups were
Mexican-Americans (14%) and American Indians (7%) (Table 3.1).
- The predominant characteristic of inhalant admissions was youth--59 percent were
under 20 (Table 3.1).
Figure 21. Inhalants
Admissions by Sex, Age, and Race/Ethnicity: 1996
- Most inhalant admissions (57%) first used inhalants before the age of 14 (Table 3.5)
- About two-thirds of admissions for inhalant abuse reported use of other drugs as well,
primarily alcohol (45%) and marijuana (41%) (Table 3.8).