- Admissions for primary sedative abuse were responsible for 0.2 percent of TEDS
admissions in 1996 (Table 3.2).
- Sedative admissions show patterns similar to those for abuse of tranquilizers. They
tended to be female (61%), white (83%), and from 30-44 years old (58 percent) (Table
Figure 18. Sedatives
Admissions by Sex, Age, and Race/Ethnicity: 1996
- The relatively large number of admissions for Puerto Rican males under 20 (N = 50)
may be a reporting anomaly (Table 3.3).
- Fifty percent of sedative admissions reported daily use (Table 3.5).
- Thirty-six percent of sedative admissions reported use of alcohol as a secondary or
tertiary substance (Table 3.8).