- Admissions for abuse of alcohol alone, with no secondary drug abuse, represented 28
percent of TEDS admissions in 1996.
- Alcohol-only admissions tend to be male (77%) and white (73%) (Table 3.1). Alcohol
alone is the substance most likely to be reported by admissions over 40 years of age
Figure 9. Alcohol Only
Admissions by Sex, Age, and Race/Ethnicity: 1996
- About 80 percent of alcohol-only admissions reported that they first became intoxicated
before the age of 18 (Table 3.5).
- Nearly half of alcohol-only admissions reported that they had not been in treatment
before the current episode (Table 3.5).
- The criminal justice system was responsible for referring 46 percent of alcohol-only
admissions to treatment (Table 3.7).