2014-2016 NSDUH Substate Region Shapefile
Description and Downloading Instructions
This shapefile includes geographic boundaries of the 2014-2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) substate regions along with small area estimation (SAE) values (prevalence rates, the map group, and the upper and lower bounds found in the map legends) related to each substate region. It can be used for analysis and data display with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software.
The shapefile includes the following components:
- "SubstateRegionData141516.prj" contains projection information for the shapefile.
- "SubstateRegionData141516.sbn" contains Par 1 of 2 of the spatial index of features.
- "SubstateRegionData141516.sbx" contains Part 2 of 2 of the spatial index of features.
- "SubstateRegionData141516.shp" contains the feature geometry.
- "SubstateRegionData141516.shx" contains the shape index.
- "SubstateRegionData141516.dbf" contains the attribute table for the shapefile.
To access these shapefile components, download the components from this zip file.
Description of Shapefile Fields
The fields in the shapefile are as follows:
- "FID" is the file's internal unique identifier.
- "Shape" is the file's internal description field.
- "Reg_FIP" is the substate region name with the state's federal information processing standards (FIPS) code (i.e., the region's unique identifier).
- "ST_FIPS" is the state FIPS code.
- "ST_NAME" is the state name.
- "SR_NAME" is the substate region's name based on the 2014-2016 substate region definitions.
- ST is the state abbreviation.
For each outcome, four variables are on the file:
- The 2014-2016 small area estimate value is noted by the outcome name (listed below).
- The map group for each outcome variable is shown with the outcome name followed by "_GP." Its values are 1,…,7, where 1 represents low prevalence and 7 represents high prevalence.
- The lower bound of the map group is shown with the outcome name followed by "_LO." If a substate region is in map group 3 for a particular outcome, the lower bound shown would be the lower bound given in the map legend for group 3.
- The upper bound of the map group is shown with the outcome name followed by "_UP." If a substate region is in map group 3, the upper bound shown would be the upper bound given in the map legend for group 3.
The 15 outcome variables, shown as "outcome name: outcome description (age group)," are as follows:
- abodalc: past year alcohol dependence or abuse (12 or older),
- alcmon: past month use of alcohol (12 or older),
- amiyr: any mental illness (AMI) in the past year (18 or older),
- cigmon: past month use of cigarettes (12 or older),
- cocyr: past year use of cocaine (12 or older),
- heryr: past year use of heroin (12 or older)
- inciden: average annual incidence estimates (expressed as percentages of the at-risk population) of first use of marijuana (12 or older),
- mde: past year major depressive episode (MDE) (i.e., depression) (18 or older),
- mrjmon: past month use of marijuana (12 or older),
- mrjyr: past year use of marijuana (12 or older),
- smiyr: serious mental illness (SMI) in the past year (18 or older),
- suithyr: serious thoughts of suicide in the past year (18 or older),
- tobmon: past month use of tobacco products (12 or older),
- txrec3: received mental health services in the past year (18 or older),
- u_alcmo: underage past month use of alcohol (12 to 20),
Shapefile Values for a Substate Region: An Example
As an example of an observation in the shapefile, Region 1 in Alabama would have the following values:
REG_FIP=Region 1_01, ST_FIPS=01, ST_NAME=Alabama, SR_NAME=Region 1, ST=AL, ABODALC=3.96, ABODALC_GP=1, ABODALC_LO=3.94, ABODALC_UP=4.52, …, U_ALCMO=16.93, U_ALCMO_GP=2, U_ALCMO_LO=15.46, U_ALCMO_UP=17.35