The Disaster Technical Assistance Center (DTAC) offers webinars and podcasts that address mental health and substance abuse (behavioral health) responses to disasters.
Building Awareness of Disaster Behavioral Health (DBH)
- The Behavioral Health Response to Mass Violence Podcast informs DBH professionals about the psychological responses to mass violence and suggests strategies and interventions to provide immediate support and mitigate long-term negative mental health consequences. Access The Behavioral Health Response to Mass Violence Podcast (Date Recorded: August 14, 2013) (28:50)
- The Understanding Compassion Fatigue and Compassion Satisfaction: Tips for Disaster Responders Podcast can help DBH professionals learn about the positive and negative effects of helping disaster survivors. Access the Understanding Compassion Fatigue and Compassion Satisfaction: Tips for Disaster Responders Podcast (Date Recorded: August 1, 2013) (25:19)
- The Post-Disaster Retraumatization: Risk and Protective Factors Podcast informs DBH professionals about the concepts and signs of retraumatization and associated risk and protective factors, and highlights promising treatment strategies and tips for avoiding retraumatization. Access the Post-Disaster Retraumatization: Risk and Protective Factors Podcast (Date Recorded: July 10, 2013) (38:47)
- The goal of the Mass Casualty: Support and Response Webinar is to share information about emotional reactions to mass casualty events. The webinar also addresses what Medical Reserve Corps team members, Commissioned Corps Officers, and other first responders may encounter in the field during a crisis event, and familiarizes participants with related disaster behavioral health resources, available through SAMHSA. Access the Mass Casualty: Support and Response Webinar (Date Recorded: April 23, 2013) (47:33)
- The goal of the Helping Children and Youth Cope in the Aftermath of Disasters: Tips for Parents and Other Caregivers, Teachers, Administrators, and School Staff Podcast is to help parents, caregivers, teachers, and other school staff to identify common reactions of children and youth to disaster and trauma, and discover helpful approaches to support immediate and long-term recovery.
- The goal of the Deployment Supports for Disaster Behavioral Health Responders Podcast is to prepare DBH responders and their family members for deployment by reviewing pre- and post-deployment guidelines and ways to prepare oneself and one's family members for the stress of deployment and reintegration into regular work and family life.
- The goal of the Cultural Awareness: Children and Youth in Disasters Podcast is to assist DBH responders in providing culturally aware and appropriate DBH services for children, youth, and families impacted by natural and human-caused disasters.
- The goal of the Self-Care for Disaster Behavioral Health Responders Podcast is to provide information, best practices, and tools that enable DBH responders and supervisors to identify and effectively manage stress and secondary traumatic stress through workplace structures and self-care practices.
- The goals of Introduction to Disaster Behavioral Health are to educate participants about the mental health, substance abuse, and stress management needs of people who have been exposed to human-caused, natural, or technological disasters.
- The goal of Applying Cultural Awareness to Disaster Behavioral Health is to provide information, recommendations, and tools that can be used to assess and strengthen cultural awareness practices in disaster behavioral health services.
Visit SAMHSA DTAC to learn more about resources dedicated to disaster behavioral health.
Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning
- The goal of the webcast Introduction to Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning is to define promising practices in DBH planning and share examples that have been implemented.
- The goal of the webcast Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Financials and Administration Operations is to identify policies, procedures, and promising practices in financial and administrative operations in DBH before, during, and after a disaster.
- The Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Building Effective Partnerships webcast provides information and examples of how to build effective working relationships with federal, state, and local government, and non-government partners, in developing a comprehensive DBH plan.
- The Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Implementing Your Disaster Behavioral Health Plan webcast addresses the essential components and promising practices in implementing a DBH plan for a state, territory, or tribe. It focuses on identifying and defining the key mechanisms and processes that put a plan into action in response to an event.
- The Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Assessing Services and Information webcast provides information and examples of promising practices in assessing services, resources such as equipment and personnel, and information before, during, and after a disaster.
- The Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Logistical Support webinar focuses on the elements of an effective logistical support system to include identification of training mechanisms for response personnel and utilization of volunteers.
- This Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Legal and Regulatory Authority webcast addresses elements of legal and regulatory authority at the federal, state, and local levels to include issues of responders’ liabilities, informed consent, confidentiality, and development of memoranda of understanding, or mutual aid agreements.
- The Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Integrating Your Disaster Behavioral Health Plan webcast discusses how states, territories, and tribes can update and integrate their DBH plans with their overarching disaster response plans.
- The Promising Practices in Disaster Behavioral Health Planning: Plan Scalability webcast provides information and examples about the elements of a scalable DBH plan, and identifies promising practices in process development, standard operating procedures, and instructions that should be in place before a disaster.