These resources provide additional information about block grants.
FY 2012-13 Block Grants Resources
- FY 2012 Block Grant Application Planning Section (PDF | 642 KB | posted 7/25/11) – SAMHSA's guidance addresses applications and timelines, assessments and plans, reporting, and required forms. This is for informational purposes only.
FY 2014-15 Block Grants Resources
- FY 2014 – FY 2015 Block Grant Application (PDF | 616 KB) – This Office of Management and Budget (OMB)-approved guidance addresses applications and timelines, assessments and plans, reporting, and required forms. This is for informational purposes only.
- FY 2014 – FY 2015 Reporting Section (PDF | 1.3 MB) – This OMB-approved guidance provides information on MHBG and SABG reporting for grantees, including sample tables. This is for informational purposes only.
- OMB Notice of Approval – OMB Approval of the FY 2014-2015 Uniform Block Grant Application/Plan and Report. This is for informational purposes only.
- Funding of For-Profit Organizations (PDF | 1.6 MB) – This document provides guidance to block grant recipients on funding for for-profit organizations.
Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant (SABG) Resources
- CEO's Funding Agreements/Certifications (Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment) [Form 3] (PDF | 62 KB) – The applicant's chief executive officer (CEO) must complete this certification, indicating that the applicant complies with all statutory requirements of the grant.
- SABG Nondiscrimination Letter (PDF | 257 KB) – This letter provides guidance to block grant recipients regarding non-discrimination and the provision of services to all clients.
- SABG Fact Sheet (PDF | 80 KB) – An overview of the SABG's purpose, including a description of the mandatory allocations for the program
- SABG Maintenance of Effort Fact Sheet (PDF | 33 KB) – A review of the SABG Maintenance of Effort (MOE) requirements and available resources
- SABG Early Intervention Services for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) (PDF | 28 KB) – A fact sheet about the SABG requirement to provide early intervention for HIV at sites where individuals receive substance use disorder treatment services
- SABG Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Services (ADMS) and Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grants Women's Services (PDF | 25 KB) – A review of the requirements for the SABG set-aside for women and women with dependents. This includes a purpose statement and resources.
- SABG Crosswalk for Title XIX, Part B, Subparts II and III and 45 CFR 96.120-137 (PDF | 45 KB) – Crosswalk of the SABG requirements against statute and regulation
- The Treatment Improvement Exchange (TIE) – A resource sponsored by the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) Division of State and Community Assistance to provide information exchange between CSAT staff and state and local alcohol and substance abuse agencies
Community Mental Health Services Block Grant (MHBG) Resources
- MHBG 5 Percent Set-Aside Guidance (PDF | 90 KB) - Guidance for the required set aside 5 percent of the Mental Health Block Grant (MHBG) allocation to support “evidence-based programs that address the needs of individuals with early serious mental illness, including psychotic disorders,” as cited in the FY2014 appropriations.
- Chief Executive Officer's Funding Agreements/Certifications (Community Mental Health Services) [Form 3] (PDF | 61 KB) – The applicant's CEO must complete this certification, indicating that the applicant complies with all statutory requirements of the grant.
- Guidance for the Development of State Suicide Prevention Plans (PDF | 156 KB) – (Updated 4-21-14) SAMHSA recommends that behavioral health (BH) agencies play a leadership role in suicide prevention efforts. This guidance recommends that states lead suicide prevention efforts by making suicide prevention a central public health and BH issue. The guidance emphasizes the value of having a written strategic plan that addresses suicide across the lifespan (that is, youth, midlife, and old age) and the unique challenges related to factors such as race, ethnicity, and geographic location.
- Best Practices for State Behavioral Health Planning Councils: The Road to Planning Council Integration (PDF | 856 KB) - The document provides guidance and best practices to mental health planning councils transitioning to a behavioral health planning council. The guide reviews the factors involved in transitioning to a behavioral health planning council, best practices and technical assistance resources.
- Behavioral Health Barometer, 2013: Presents a set of substance use and mental health indicators from population- and treatment facility-based data sets. Provides point-in-time and trend data reflecting the status and progress in improving key behavioral health indicators.
- Data, Outcomes, and Quality (DOQ): Is a mental health and substance use data, outcomes, and quality resource. Includes data compilations of Behavioral Health Prevalence Data (NSDUH), National Outcomes Measures (NOMs), Treatment Data (TEDS), and other data sources.