The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2013 Science and Service Awards for the Treatment of Opioid-related Disorders.
This award recognizes excellence in opioid treatment programs and providers who use medications approved by the FDA for the treatment of opioid-related disorders. The award also recognizes providers who have successfully implemented innovative services and/or practices that resulted in improved patient outcomes.
Of particular interest for this award was the implementation of services and practices that support SAMHSA’s priorities in promoting state-of-the art treatment care. These services and practices include the provision, or use of:
Recovery support services,
Integrated behavioral and primary health care services,
Hepatitis prevention and treatment services,
FDA approved medications for the treatment of opioid dependence,
Approaches encouraging patient choice in treatment planning, and
Administrative practices promoting retention, access to care, and service/cost effectiveness and efficiency and electronic health records.
Each application was reviewed by three members of a panel of experts and scored using a standardized scoring tool. Ten awards were made, five in each of the two categories: Opioid Treatment Programs and Office-based Opioid Treatment (see below):
· For Office-based Opioid Treatment
1. Barre Family Health Center & Worcester Family Medicine Residency, Barre, MA
2. Peter Rostenberg, M.D., Fairfield, CT
3. The Project Renewal Primary Care Medical Program, New York, NY
4. John M. Thorp, Jr. , M.D., Chapel Hill, NC
5. Washington County Health Department, Division of Behavioral Health Services, Hagerstown, MD
· For Opioid Treatment Programs
1. Drug Abuse Comprehensive Coordinating Office, Opiate Addiction Treatment Services, Tampa, FL
2. F. Cornelius Ogundele, PhD, Chicago, Illinois
3. Addiction Services At Hopkins Bayview, Baltimore, MD
4. New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, Kings County Center Opioid Treatment Program, Brooklyn, NY
5. Sharon Dembinski, MedMark Services, Inc., Lewisville, TX
For more information on the winning innovations, please go to:
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is the agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation. SAMHSA's mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America's communities.