Click to see the modal popup.

Demographics: African American or Black

The 2010 Census showed that 38.9 million people or 13 percent of the United States population identified as Black alone. Furthermore, 3.1 million people, or 1 percent of the population, identified as Black in conjunction with one or more other races. The two groups, Black alone or Black in combination with one or more other races, totaled 42 million. Therefore, 14 percent of people in the United States identified as Black, either alone, or in combination with one or more other races.

The US Census Bureau projects that by the year 2060 there will be 77.4 million African Americans in the United States, making up 18.4% of the total U.S. population.

Census data show that African Americans lived throughout the country in 2011, with the largest concentration, 55%, residing in the South.

Locations with the largest percentage of Blacks per total population in 2011 were the District of Columbia (52%), Mississippi (37%), Louisiana (32%), Georgia (31%), Maryland (30%), South Carolina (28%), and Alabama (27%). Locations with the largest total number of black residents (in 2010) were New York (3.3 million), Florida (3.2 million), Texas (3.2 million), Georgia (3.1 million), California (2.7 million), and North Carolina (2.2 million).

Source:
The Black Population: 2010 (2010 Census Briefs) [PDF | 9.7MB]
Black (African-American) History Month: February 2013

Last Updated: 04/09/2013