Everyone can play a role in prevention. Your choices make a big difference! Commit to a healthy lifestyle during National Prevention Week 2013 and throughout the year: visit SAMHSA’s Facebook page and take the "Prevention Pledge." Share the pledge with others to encourage them to join you in making healthy choices.
You can help prevent substance abuse and promote mental health in your own life and the lives of those in your community by participating in the "Prevention Pledge" and taking one or more of the following actions:
- Talk to others about the prevention of substance use and the promotion of mental, emotional, and behavioral well-being.
- Attend a National Prevention Week 2013 event.
- Host a drug- and alcohol-free party or event.
- Learn about and support suicide prevention programs such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
(1-800-273-TALK ) and the Trevor Project
- Encourage your children, friends, and/or family members to improve their mental, emotional, and behavioral health by promoting rest, a healthy diet, physical exercise, and time outdoors.
- Point loved ones in the direction of resources that can help them improve their mental, emotional, and behavioral well-being.
- Talk with a friend or loved one who has been having a difficult time and discuss things that are bothering him/her.
- Take care of your own personal health and well-being, and get help if you experience a health problem or a stressful situation that you don’t know how to handle.
- Stay tobacco-free OR seek help to quit smoking or using tobacco.
- Be a positive role model in your community and someone others can look up to.
- Volunteer with a community program or organization that provides support for at-risk populations such as youth, tribal communities, veterans, and military families.
- Encourage your local school district to implement an alcohol and substance use prevention program and provide programs to promote students’ mental health.
- Spread the prevention message online by posting about and linking to National Prevention Week 2013 on your Facebook and Twitter pages, and on your blog or website.
Encourage friends, family, neighbors, and loved ones to sign the Prevention Pledge!
Print and share the National Prevention Week "Prevention Pledge [PDF | 105KB]
" with your friends, family, and neighbors. Encourage others to take the "Prevention Pledge" and join you in your commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
Obtén el "Compromiso con la Prevención" en español [PDF |173 KB]
. Comprométete a cumplir con una o más de las acciones establecidas en el compromiso, y así ayudarás a prevenir el abuso de sustancias y a promover la salud mental, emocional y conductual en tu propia vida y en tu comunidad. ¡Imprime y comparte el “Compromiso con la Prevención” con amigos, familiares y vecinos para hacer correr la voz y animar a otros a llevar una vida sana!