Department Of Health and Human Services
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Privacy Act of 1974: Privacy Act System of Records Notices
Below are the active SAMHSA Privacy Act System of Records Notices (SORNs), as published in the Federal Register. Click on a bulleted link to view details of specific SORNs.
The Privacy Act of 1974, defines the term "system of records" as a group of any records under the control of any agency from which information is retrieved by the name of the individual or by some identifying number, symbol, or other identifying particular assigned. The Privacy Act requires Federal agencies to notify the public of systems of records by publishing SORNs to the Federal Register.
There are three types of System Notices that can be cited to cover record systems: Internal, Government and Central.
- Owned by each federal agency to cover their internal records (e.g., HHS, NIH and other OPDIVs);
- Often referred to as “umbrella” system notices;
- National Institutes of Health SORNs begin with 09-25-xxxx; and
- Department of Health & Human Services SORNs begin 09-90-xxxx.
- All federal agencies may use these notices to cover government-wide record systems (e.g., OPM, OGE, EEOC, FEMA, GSA, etc.);
- The physical records contained within the record system belong to the respective federal agency;
- OPM still retains some authority over the records, e.g., during an appeal process; and
- Notices begin with GOVT-1, 2, etc.
- Owned by OPM who maintains full responsibility for the central record systems (e.g., Personnel Investigations Records);
- Federal agencies are permitted to maintain copies; and
- Notices begin with CENTRAL-1, 2, etc.
SAMHSA's Sytem of Record Notices:
- 09-30-0023 Records of Contracts Awarded to Individuals (HHS/SAMHSA/OPS)
- 09-30-0027 Grants and Cooperative Agreements: Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Services Evaluation, Service, Demonstration, Education, Fellowship, Training, Clinical Training, and Community Services Programs (HHS/SAMHSA/OA)
- 09-30-0033 Correspondence Files (HHS/SAMHSA/OA)
- 09-30-0036 Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Epidemiologic Data (HHS/SAMHSA/OA)
- 09-30-0049 Consultant Records Maintained By SAMHSA Contractors (HHS/SAMHSA/OPS)
- 09-30-0051 SAMHSA Information Mailing System (SIMS)
- 09-30-0052 SAMHSA Opioid Treatment Waiver Notification System (OTWNS)