Learn about the success grantees have had as they implement the Safe Schools/Healthy Students (SS/HS) model.
The goals of the Safe Schools/Healthy Students (SS/HS) initiative include:
- Reducing violence and substance use
- Improving mental health service coordination
- Creating a safe school environment
To achieve the goals of the initiative, SS/HS grantees use a comprehensive approach that helps communities develop strategies for preventing school violence and increasing access to mental health services for students. Learn more about the SS/HS Framework.
In the “Snapshot” series current and former grantee project directors provide information on the innovative practices through case studies that show how they are improving the health of youth.
- Bullying Prevention and Intervention: Snapshots from the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative – 2012 features bullying prevention efforts from SS/HS communities across the country and highlights key themes that contributed to their success. The report also illustrates some innovative and noteworthy approaches to solve bullying problems in communities.
- Law Enforcement: Snapshots from the Safe Schools/ Healthy Students Initiative – 2013 shows how SS/HS communities overcame the challenge of launching a school-community and law enforcement partnership through frequent communication and a shared mission and vision for school safety.
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports: Snapshots from Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiatives – 2012 highlights the success that many SS/HS grantees have achieved in preventing and improving problem behaviors and creating a positive school climate. Learn about the various tactics and strategies grantees used for planning, implementing, and refining this approach.
- School Mental Health: Snapshots from the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative – 2013 highlights key characteristics of effective school mental health programs. The report also features the strategies that SS/HS grantees have used to build and sustain comprehensive mental health programs.
- Stories of Sustainability: Snapshots from the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative – 2013 shows how former SS/HS grantees have been able to continue their programs. These examples can help communities interested in replicating the SS/HS model sustain their own programs.
- Substance Abuse Prevention: Snapshots from the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative – 2013 highlights grantee best practices for substance use prevention in schools.
- Supportive School Discipline: Snapshots from the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative – 2012 highlights the effectiveness of supportive school discipline practices. Learn about the four components that SS/HS grantees have found to be key in creating and sustaining a system of positive discipline and, ultimately, a safe and supportive school environment.
- Violence Prevention: Snapshots from the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative – 2013 explores the experiences of grantees who carried out successful approaches to school violence prevention and presents best practices.