Conference Partners, Topics
SAMHSA and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) collaborated with the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to cosponsor the 2008 conference as they did in March 2006 for “The Road Home,” the first conference for returning veterans on behavioral health.
At the 2008 conference, state partners included the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD) and the National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors (NASADAD).
Other Federal agencies and private organizations, listed below, presented throughout the August 11 event.
Presenting agencies included:
- Social Security Administration
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- U.S. Department of Labor.
Presenting organizations included:
- Altarum Institute
- Buffalo Veterans Treatment Court
- Informed Interventions
- Mid-Atlantic Addiction Technology Transfer Center
- Military Child Education Coalition
- Minnesota Army National Guard Reintegration Program
- National Business Group on Health
- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
- New Directions Program
- Purdue University
- States of Connecticut, California, and North Carolina
- Texas A & M University System
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
- Western Regional Medical Command
- Zero to Three.
Topics discussed included:
- Community partnerships among mental health, substance abuse, and veterans and military services
- Traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Special concerns of women veterans
- Experiences of military families
- Prevention of homelessness
- Suicide prevention
- Workforce issues
- Labor and employment strategies
- Program development and planning
- Promising approaches to veterans’ services by states.