Prevention Grants Totaling $190 Million Awarded
SAMHSA recently announced 25 grant awards totaling $190 million over 5 years to advance community-based substance abuse prevention programs as part of its Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant Program. Each award is for up to $2.135 million per year for up to 5 years.
Funds will be used to implement a five-step planning process known to support positive youth development, reduce risk-taking behaviors, build on assets, and prevent problem behaviors. The five steps are:
- Conduct needs assessments.
- Build state and local capacity.
- Develop a comprehensive strategic plan.
- Implement evidence-based prevention policies, programs, and practices.
- Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness, sustaining what has worked well.
Specific measureable outcomes will be used to indicate success of the grants.
Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive grants awarded this year are:
- Alaska—Dena’ Nena’ Tanana Chiefs Conference, Fairbanks
- State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Juneau
- Arizona—Tohono O’odham Nation, Sells
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Saipan
- District of Columbia, Office of the Mayor
- Delaware—Department of Health and Social Services, New Castle
- Iowa, State of Iowa Department of Public Health, Des Moines
- Maryland, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Catonsville
- Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia, Palikir Station
- Michigan, Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Harbor Springs
- Minnesota—State of Minnesota, St. Paul
- Montana—Montana Wyoming Tribal Leaders Council, Billings
- Nebraska, Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska, Winnebago
- New York—Office of the Governor, Albany
- Northern Arapaho Tribe, Fort Washakie
- Ohio, Office of the Governor, Columbus
- Oklahoma—State of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
- Oregon, Office of the Governor, Salem
- Puerto Rico—Office of the Governor, Hato Rey
- Republic of Marshall Islands
- South Carolina, State of South Carolina, Columbia
- South Dakota, Lower Brule Sioux Tribe, Lower Brule
- State of South Dakota
- Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Department of Health, Christiansted
- Virginia, Office of the Governor, Richmond.
For more details, see the official press release.