Combining prescriptions or using alcohol
with a particular medication may inadvertently cause depression,
anxiety, or physical health problems. As You Age . . .
A Guide to Aging, Medicines, and Alcohol, is an informational
brochure designed to help reduce this danger. (See SAMHSA
News, Prescription Drugs & Alcohol
Following are some tips from the brochure:
- Know that some medicines do not mix well with other medications,
including over-the-counter medications and herbal remedies.
- Note changes in body weight. These changes can influence
the amount of medicine needed.
- Read labels on medications carefully and follow the directions.
- Look for pictures or statements that prohibit drinking
alcohol while taking a certain medicine.
- Talk to a health care professional about all medications,
including prescription ones, over-the-counter medicines,
- Go through the medicine chest and get rid of expired medicines
For an electronic copy of the As
You Age brochure or other materials, visit SAMHSA's
Web site at www.asyouage.samhsa.gov.