Detoxification: TIP 45
Keeping staff well informed and “on the same page” is often a challenge for treatment providers and clinic supervisors. To help, SAMHSA regularly releases training manuals based on Treatment Improvement Protocols (TIPs).
Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment Training Manual is based on TIP 45.
The manual is designed to provide substance abuse treatment staff and service providers with a basic understanding of the complex issues and strategies regarding successful detoxification and substance abuse treatment services.
The six-module program includes talking points for brief instructional lectures, facilitated large-group discussions, and small-group activities. Upon completion, participants will better understand:
- Essential concepts, history, and definitions related to detoxification
- Different treatment settings and the role they play in the delivery of services
- Psychosocial and biomedical issues that can occur during detoxification
- Physical detoxification services for withdrawal from substances
- Co-occurring medical and psychiatric conditions and how they can affect detoxification
- Financing and organizational issues, including program development and • working in a managed care environment.
For details on TIP 45, read “Treatment Protocol Focuses on Detoxification,” in SAMHSA News online, July/August 2006.
The manuals in the Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) series are best-practice guidelines for substance abuse treatment. The Division of Services Improvement at SAMHSA’s Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) draws on the experience and knowledge of clinical, research, and administrative experts to produce the manuals, which are distributed to facilities and individuals across the country.
The manuals are part of CSAT’s Knowledge Application Program.
To order this training manual free of charge, contact SAMHSA’s Health Information Network at 1-877-SAMHSA-7 (1-877-726-4727). Request inventory number SMA08-4341.
This and other substance abuse trainings are available for free download on CSAT’s Knowledge Application Program Web site at www.kap.samhsa.gov/products/trainingcurriculums.