Notice: The management and functions of the ISUDCC were transferred from the OASH to SAMHSA in June 2019.
The Secretary of Health and Human Services, in coordination with the Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, is required by the SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act Public Law 115-271 (PDF | 679 KB) to establish an Interdepartmental Substance Use Disorders Coordinating Committee composed of federal and non-federal members to accomplish the following duties:
- Identify areas for improved coordination of activities, if any, related to substance use disorders, including research, services, supports, and prevention activities across all relevant federal agencies;
- Identify and provide to the Secretary recommendations for improving federal programs for the prevention and treatment of, and recovery from, substance use disorders, including by expanding access to prevention, treatment, and recovery services;
- Analyze substance use disorder prevention and treatment strategies in different regions of and populations in the United States and evaluate the extent to which federal substance use disorder prevention and treatment strategies are aligned with State and local substance use disorder prevention and treatment strategies;
- Make recommendations to the Secretary regarding any appropriate changes with respect to the activities and strategies described in items (1) through (3) above;
- Make recommendations to the Secretary regarding public participation in decisions relating to substance use disorders and the process by which public feedback can be better integrated into such decisions; and
- Make recommendations to ensure that substance use disorder research, services, supports, and prevention activities of the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal agencies are not unnecessarily duplicative.
Designated Federal Officer: Tracy Goss
HHS is currently soliciting members for this committee. Please refer to the Federal Register Notice for instructions on how to submit a nomination for membership. After appointment by the Secretary of HHS, information about committee members will be updated.
The Interdepartmental Substance Use Disorders Coordinating Committee is required under Section 7022 of the Substance Use-Disorder Prevention that Promotes Opioid Recovery and Treatment for Patients and Communities Act (PDF | 679 KB) (SUPPORT Act, Public Law 115-271).
The Committee is governed by the provisions of the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), Public Law 92-463, as amended (5 U.S.C. App), which sets forth standards for the formation and use of federal advisory committees.
Interdepartmental Substance Use Disorders Coordinating Committee
Federal Register Notice: Notice of the intent to establish the Interdepartmental Substance Use Disorders Coordinating Committee and request for nominations for Task Force members. Published on May 15, 2019.
Press Release: Announcement of the intent to establish the Interdepartmental Substance Use Disorders Coordinating Committee and request for member nominations. Published on May 14, 2019.
Email us at Tracy.Goss@samhsa.hhs.gov.