The SAMHSA Strategic Plan FY2019-FY2023 provides a roadmap to carry out the vision and mission of SAMHSA over the next four years.
In order to achieve its mission, SAMHSA has identified five priority areas to better meet the behavioral health care needs of individuals, communities, and service providers. The five priority areas are:
- Combating the Opioid Crisis through the Expansion of Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery Support Services.
- Addressing Serious Mental Illness and Serious Emotional Disturbances.
- Advancing Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery Support Services for Substance Use.
- Improving Data Collection, Analysis, Dissemination, and Program and Policy Evaluation.
- Strengthening Health Practitioner Training and Education.
SAMHSA’s work is guided by five core principles that are being infused throughout the Agency’s activities. The five core principles are:
- Supporting the adoption of evidence-based practices.
- Increasing access to the full continuum of services for mental and substance use disorders.
- Engaging in outreach to clinicians, grantees, patients, and the American public.
- Collecting, analyzing, and disseminating data to inform policies, programs, and practices.
- Recognizing that the availability of mental health and substance use disorder services are integral to everyone’s health.
Read the full Strategic Plan (PDF | 567 KB), including measurable goals and objectives.