A national clearinghouse and resource for recovery-oriented care across the mental health, substance use, and co-occurring domains, the Office promotes a recovery-oriented system of care working in partnership with recovery community leaders, tracking progress over time and identifying to resolve barriers to system transformation.
Initial objectives include:
- Ensure that recovery is a guiding principle in SAMHSA’s policies, programs, and services.
- Foster the meaningful involvement of a wide array of people with lived experience to improve behavioral health practices.
- Increase opportunities for recovery for underserved and under-resourced populations and communities including people of color, youth, older adults, LGBTQI+, rural, veterans and people with disabilities. Identify health disparities in high-risk and vulnerable populations and ensure equity for recovery support.
- Expand peer-provided services within every community.
- Address key social determinants that support recovery including access to housing, education, social support, and employment.
- Promote training and public education opportunities on recovery.
- Explore opportunities to partner with the philanthropic and private sectors to support innovative programming to address disparities and advance recovery transformation.
- Support implementation of any dedicated recovery resources to states for recovery support services.
- Expand wholistic, self-care strategies to improve health and behavioral health outcomes — including the reduction of early mortality and impact of co-morbid chronic health conditions—and to integrate recovery-oriented practices and systemic reform into the full continuum of health and behavioral healthcare including prevention, harm reduction, treatment, crisis care, and recovery supports.
- Recovery and Recovery Support
- Recovery Innovation Challenge
- National Recovery Month
- Recovery Publications
- Recovery Summit Executive Summary
- SAMHSA Inclusion Policy (PDF | 218 KB)
Office of the Director
Paolo del Vecchio, M.S.W., Director
Dona Dmitrovic, MHS, Senior Advisor
Larry Davidson, Ph.D., Senior Advisor
- David Awadalla, Public Health Analyst
- Sabrina Frost, Executive Assistant
- Steven Fry, Public Health Analyst
- Grace Lee, Statistician
- Guadalupe (Lupe) Mendez, Public Health Advisor
- Elizabeth Sweet, Public Health Advisor
- Wanda Finch, Special Expert
- Kristen Harper, Public Health Advisor