A goal of the SAMHSA Regional Administrators (RAs) is to promote initiatives, engage target populations and report regional and state trends, issues and policies. The RAs accomplish this goal through various tools, including: in-person meetings and conferences, one-on-one meetings with stakeholders, site visits to grantees, presentations, social-media, webinars, webcasts and periodic reports.
SAMHSA’s Presence in the Community
This video series explores how SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators affect change and reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America’s communities.
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: An Introduction (six minutes, 30 seconds)
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: Creating Change (five minutes, 14 seconds)
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: Impacting Communities (six minutes, 36 seconds)
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: SAMHSA’s Presence in the Community (17 minutes, 55 seconds)
- Partners in Behavioral Health: State Resources for Tribes (PDF | 631 KB) - Listing of state specific behavioral health resources for tribes. Includes contact information for SAMHSA Regional Administrators, State Behavioral Health Agencies, National Prevention Network, State Suicide Prevention Coordinator, State Veterans Coordinator, Women’s Treatment Coordinator & Children’s Mental Health Coordinator. Updated 6/1/2017.
- The video SAMHSA’s Regional Offices: 5 Years of Advancing Behavioral Health (four minutes) is a look at what SAMHSA has accomplished through the Regional Offices from 2012 to 2017.
- SAMHSA At a Glance (PDF | 494 KB) provides a brief outline of who SAMHSA is and what SAMHSA does.
- SAMHSA Technical Assistance Center Brochure (PDF | 296 KB) provides a listing of SAMHSA’s technical assistance resources for the public, grantees, and targeted populations.
- Regional Profile Slides (PDF | 660 KB) provide a glimpse of current behavioral health statistics by region.
- Video: Everyone Plays a Role in Suicide Prevention: Turning Strategy into Action (one hour, 57 minutes)
- SAMHSA Regional Administrators Map (PDF | 465 KB) displays the location and contact information for each of the SAMHSA Regional Administrators.
- Video: Promoting Recovery (four minutes) includes SAMHSA Regional Administrators offering an inspiring look at how people with mental illness and substance abuse can and do recover.
- Learn about Challenges in the Behavioral Health Field (one hour, 26 minutes) as SAMHSA Regional Administrators discuss the issues and challenges in the service delivery and implementation of behavioral health programs.
- SAMHSA Regional Administrators discuss a holistic view of integrating behavioral health care into primary care in the Video: Behavioral Health Care Integration (3 minutes).
- Video: Supporting Recovery: Integrated Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (24 minutes) - This documentary tells the story of the successful implementation of integrated treatment through the experiences of consumers, policymakers and practitioners in two former COSIG States, Connecticut and Louisiana. Learn more about how SAMHSA supports integrated treatment for co-occurring disorders.
Resource Hand-Outs (1-Pagers)
- Suicide Prevention Resources (PDF | 613 KB) is a one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around suicide prevention nationally and in Region 8 (CO, MT, ND, SD, UT & WY)
- SAMHSA Refugee Behavioral Health Resources (PDF | 732 KB) is a one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around refugee behavioral health in Region 8 (CO, MT, ND, SD, UT & WY)
- Recovery Resources (PDF | 558 KB) is an one-page hand-out reviewing the SAMHSA resources available on Recovery
- YouthBuild Resources (PDF | 352 KB) is an one-page resource hand-out developed for the partnership between SAMHSA Regional Administrators and the U.S. Department of Labor’s YouthBuild program
- Underage Drinking Resources (PDF | 625 KB) is an one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around underage drinking
- Homelessness Resource (PDF | 561 KB) is an one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around homelessness
- Prescription Drug Abuse Resources (PDF | 444 KB) is an one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around prescription drug abuse
- School Violence Resources (PDF | 459 KB) is an one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around school violence
- Materiales del Recurso (SAMHSA Resources in Spanish) (PDF | 440 KB) is an one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA’s National Resources
Regional Administrator: Vacant
- The podcast "Problem Gambling in the Military" 31 min. (MP3 | 14.6 MB) is performed by Kathryn Power, SAMHSA Region 1 Administrator, and Keith Whyte, Executive Direction, National Council on Problem Gambling. Kathryn and Keith have a candid discussion about problem gambling in the military and resources that are available. Transcript of "Problem Gambling in the Military" (PDF | 209 KB)
- SAMHSA’s Regional Presence and Priorities (PDF | 2.3 MB) is a review of Regional Administrator roles, the mission/vision of the Office of Policy, Planning, and Innovation, mental health, and the purpose of Primary and Behavioral Health Integration (PBHCI).
- Military Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families (PDF | 1.3 MB) brief review of military and veterans behavioral health issues, policy examples, partnerships, programs, services members, veterans, and their families policy academies.
- Military Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families (2013-2014) (PDF | 1.3 MB) brief review of military population, goals for military families, behavioral health, deployments, partnerships and relationships, policy academies, veterans and suicide, family systems/dynamics, and current resources.
- Enrolment Strategy (PDF | 357 KB) provides a brief overview of SAMHSA’s outreach priorities and strategies to ensure health plan enrollment.
- Impact of Marijuana on Maine (PDF | 747 KB) - This is a pictorial description of the impact of Marijuana on the state of Maine. Provides detailed impacts on motor vehicle safety, family, employment, intimate partner violence, and the environment.
- Accelerating Innovation in CMS (PDF | 1 MB) - This is a PDF created by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services describing the need for delivery system and payment transformation. It also provides specific data, research and impacts for incorporating this innovation into existence.
- The podcast "Relationship between Smoking, Behavioral Health, and Gambling" 31 min. (MP3 | 21.5 MB) is performed by Kathryn Power, SAMHSA Region 1 Administrator, and Keith Whyte, Executive Direction, National Council on Problem Gambling. Kathryn and Keith have a candid discussion about the relationships between substance abuse, mental illness and gambling that you don’t want to miss. Transcript of "Relationship Between Smoking, Behavioral Health, and Gambling" (PDF | 124 KB)
Regional Administrator: Dennis O. Romero, M.A.
- Behavioral Health As Public Health In An Era Of Health Reform: SAMHSA Programs To Reduce Homelessness (PDF | 2.9 MB) - Mr. Romero gave this speech on December 5, 2014 at the 16th Annual New Jersey Supportive Housing Conference entitled Breaking New Ground. The presentation reviews the importance of behavioral health services in the homeless population, such as recovery supports. Many resources for the homeless population are also offered.
- Oct 24, 2017 SAMHSA along with Office of Region Divisions (ORD) and Office of the Assistant Secretary of Health (OASH) jointly convened the Region II Opioid Summit Opioid Summit. You can find materials and resources related to the event: http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=6yud54gab&oeidk=a07eeoa4n32d0b30679 and find the Webcast recording at https://www.cdnetwork.org/library/u-s-department-health-human-services-region-ii-summit-opioids-public-health-public-safety-crisis
Regional Administrator: Jean Bennett, Ph.D.
- Advancing Health and Improving Lives in Region III (PDF | 2 MB) is a presentation for behavioral health stakeholders discussing health reform and reviewing the roles of HHS within Region 3.
Regional Administrator: Captain Jeffrey A. Coady, Psy.D.
- American Indian Behavioral Health Collaborative Meeting (PDF | 2.4 MB) slides review SAMHSA’s work with the Tribal Law and Order Act (TLOA), resources, and funding opportunities for tribes.
- Collaboration Cultural Competency and Quality of Care (PDF | 3 MB) presentation given at the Community and Faith Leaders Summit on October 16, 2012, provides an overview of behavioral health impacts, capacity building, faith-based partnerships, suicide prevention and mental health first aid.
- HIV/AIDS Prevention (PDF | 1.4 MB) briefly reviews HIV/AIDs and behavioral health, along with current resources and funding available through SAMHSA.
- Rx Drug Abuse Prevention Strategies: Building the Infrastructure to Stem the Flow of Rx Drugs & Preventing Addiction, October, 2014 (PPT | 6 MB) - Keynote presentation by Dr. Jeffrey Coady
- Suicide Prevention and System Integration (PPT | 4 MB) - Presentation given by Dr. Jeffrey Coady at the 2014 Midwest Injury Prevention Alliance: Suicide Prevention. The presentation includes a review of the effectiveness of a state and national suicide prevention strategy.
Regional Administrator: Commander Karen Hearod, LSCW
- SAMHSA Region 6 Tribal Opioid and Substance Use Disorder Data Webinar (one hour, 29 minutes) - This webinar is to support HHS Region 6 Tribes in locating and selecting data from public sources related to opioid misuse and other substance use disorders. Tribes will gain understanding of available resources and opportunities for technical assistance related to data collection to improve surveillance capability and also to assist Tribes in increasing their ability to be competitive for future funding opportunities.
- Region 6 continues to support the training of Youth and Adult Mental Health First Aid instructors. In January 2015, instructors from SAMHSA, Administration for Children and Families (ACF), and Health Resources and Services Administration were trained as instructors in Youth Mental Health First Aid. This training will allow the federal staff to teach adults who have or work with youth how to recognize the signs and symptoms of mental illness and substance abuse in our youth. Additionally, the training teaches a simple five step model for appropriately assessing and dealing with a youth in distress.
The January 2015 class of new Youth and Adult Mental Health First Aid instructors.
SAMHSA and ACF provide Youth MHFA Training with tribal members of the Navajo Nation.
- Video: Recovery & Health: Echoing Through the Community (one hour, 29 minutes) facilitated by Michael Duffy, Region 6 Administrator, helps your community build recovery initiatives into their system of care.
- Nebraska "Success, Hopes and Dreams 2014" Statewide Behavioral Health Conference (41 minutes) - Laura Howard provided the keynote address -- Advancing Behavioral Health: Challenges and Opportunities in a Changing Environment to kick off Success, Hopes, and Dreams 2014, Nebraska's State Behavioral Health Conference coordinated by the Mental Health Association of Nebraska. (May 19, 2014, Lincoln, Nebraska).
- Regions 7 and 8 Tribal Consultation: Prescription Drug Abuse in Indian Country (PDF | 2 MB) - Powerpoint presentation given April 2014 at the Region 7 & 8 Tribal Consultation by the Health Resource and Services Administration and SAMHSA. The slides provide insight into the strategies being used in the prevention and treatment of drug use in Indian Country, including data resources and the implementation of the ONDCP Strategy to Prevent & Reduce Prescription Drug Abuse, and Tribal Law and Order Act (TLOA) of 2010.
- Suicide Prevention Resources (PDF | 613 KB) - A one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around suicide prevention nationally and in Region 8.
- SAMHSA Refugee Behavioral Health Resources (PDF | 594 KB) - A one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around refugee behavioral health in Region 8.
- Regions 7 & 8 Tribal Consultation: Prescription Drug Abuse in Indian Country (PDF | 2 MB) - Powerpoint presentation given April 2014 at the Region 7 and 8 Tribal Consultation by the Health Resource and Services Administration and SAMHSA. The slides provide insight into the strategies being used in the prevention and treatment of drug use in Indian Country, including data resources and the implementation of the ONDCP Strategy to Prevent & Reduce Prescription Drug Abuse, and Tribal Law and Order Act (TLOA) of 2010.
- Homelessness Handout Region 8 (PDF | 562 KB) - A one-page resource guide for Region 8 around homelessness.
- Recovery Handout Region 8 (PDF | 578 KB) - A one-page resource guide for Region 8 around recovery.
- Prescription Drug Abuse Handout Region 8 (PDF | 450 KB) - A one-page resource guide for Region 8 around prescription drug abuse.
- School Violence Handout Region 8 (PDF | 468 KB) - A one-page resource guide for Region 8 around school violence.
- Tribal Affairs Region 8 (PDF | 558 KB) - A one-page resource guide for Region 8 around tribal affairs.