A goal of the SAMHSA Regional Offices, which include the Regional Administrator (RA) and Assistant Regional Administrator (ARA) is to promote initiatives, engage target populations and report regional and state trends, issues and policies.
SAMHSA’s Presence in the Community
This video series explores how SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators affect change and reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America’s communities.
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: An Introduction (six minutes, 30 seconds)
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: Creating Change (five minutes, 14 seconds)
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: Impacting Communities (six minutes, 36 seconds)
- SAMHSA’s Regional Administrators: SAMHSA’s Presence in the Community (17 minutes, 55 seconds)
- Regional Behavioral Health Barometers. These are behavioral health reports for each of the ten HHS regions of the United States. Each report utilizes data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), collected annually. The topics addressed in the reports include youth substance use, youth mental health and treatment, adult mental health and treatment, substance use and substance use and treatment.
- SAMHSA Technical Assistance Center Brochure (PDF | 384 KB) provides a listing of SAMHSA’s technical assistance resources for the public, grantees, and targeted populations.
- Video: Everyone Plays a Role in Suicide Prevention: Turning Strategy into Action (one hour, 57 minutes)
- SAMHSA Regional Administrators Map (PDF | 836 KB) displays the location and contact information for each of the SAMHSA Regional Administrators.
- Video: Promoting Recovery (four minutes) includes SAMHSA Regional Administrators offering an inspiring look at how people with mental illness and substance abuse can and do recover.
- Learn about Challenges in the Behavioral Health Field (one hour, 26 minutes) as SAMHSA Regional Administrators discuss the issues and challenges in the service delivery and implementation of behavioral health programs.
- SAMHSA Regional Administrators discuss a holistic view of integrating behavioral health care into primary care in the Video: Behavioral Health Care Integration (three minutes).
- Video: Supporting Recovery: Integrated Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (24 minutes) - This documentary tells the story of the successful implementation of integrated treatment through the experiences of consumers, policymakers and practitioners in two former COSIG States, Connecticut and Louisiana. Learn more about how SAMHSA supports integrated treatment for co-occurring disorders.
Regional Administrator: Tom Coderre
- The podcast "Problem Gambling in the Military" (MP3 | 14.6 MB) (31 minutes) is performed by Kathryn Power, SAMHSA Region 1 Administrator, and Keith Whyte, Executive Director, National Council on Problem Gambling. Kathryn and Keith have a candid discussion about problem gambling in the military and resources that are available. Transcript of "Problem Gambling in the Military" (PDF | 209 KB)
- Military Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families (PDF | 1.3 MB) brief review of military and veterans behavioral health issues, policy examples, partnerships, programs, services members, veterans, and their families policy academies.
- Military Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families (2013-2014) (PDF | 1.3 MB) brief review of military population, goals for military families, behavioral health, deployments, partnerships and relationships, policy academies, veterans and suicide, family systems/dynamics, and current resources.
- The podcast "Relationship between Smoking, Behavioral Health, and Gambling" (MP3 | 21.5 MB) (31 minutes) is performed by Kathryn Power, SAMHSA Region 1 Administrator, and Keith Whyte, Executive Director, National Council on Problem Gambling. Kathryn and Keith have a candid discussion about the relationships between substance abuse, mental illness and gambling that you don’t want to miss. Transcript of "Relationship Between Smoking, Behavioral Health, and Gambling" (PDF | 124 KB)
Regional Administrator: Dennis O. Romero, M.A.
Regional Administrator: Jean Bennett, Ph.D.
- Advancing Health and Improving Lives in Region III (PDF | 2 MB) is a presentation for behavioral health stakeholders discussing health reform and reviewing the roles of HHS within Region 3.
Regional Administrator: Captain Michael King, Ph.D., M.S.W.
Regional Administrator: Captain Jeffrey A. Coady, Psy.D., ABPP
- American Indian Behavioral Health Collaborative Meeting (PDF | 2.4 MB) slides review SAMHSA’s work with the Tribal Law and Order Act (TLOA), resources, and funding opportunities for tribes.
- Collaboration Cultural Competency and Quality of Care (PDF | 3 MB) presentation given at the Community and Faith Leaders Summit on October 16, 2012, provides an overview of behavioral health impacts, capacity building, faith-based partnerships, suicide prevention and mental health first aid.
- HIV/AIDS Prevention (PDF | 1.4 MB) briefly reviews HIV/AIDs and behavioral health, along with current resources and funding available through SAMHSA.
- Suicide Prevention and System Integration (PPT | 4 MB) - Presentation given by Dr. Jeffrey Coady at the 2014 Midwest Injury Prevention Alliance: Suicide Prevention. The presentation includes a review of the effectiveness of a state and national suicide prevention strategy.
Regional Administrator: Captain Karen Hearod, LCSW
- SAMHSA Region 6 Tribal Opioid and Substance Use Disorder Data Webinar (one hour, 29 minutes) - This webinar is to support HHS Region 6 Tribes in locating and selecting data from public sources related to opioid misuse and other substance use disorders. Tribes will gain understanding of available resources and opportunities for technical assistance related to data collection to improve surveillance capability and also to assist Tribes in increasing their ability to be competitive for future funding opportunities.
- Video: Recovery & Health: Echoing Through the Community (one hour, 29 minutes) facilitated by Michael Duffy, Region 6 Administrator, helps your community build recovery initiatives into their system of care.
Regional Administrator: Kimberly Nelson, LAC, M.P.A.
Regional Administrator: Charles Smith, Ph.D.
- Suicide Prevention Resources (PDF | 753 KB) - A one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around suicide prevention nationally and in Region 8.
- SAMHSA Refugee Behavioral Health Resources (PDF | 594 KB) - A one-page hand-out reviewing SAMHSA resources available around refugee behavioral health in Region 8.
- Behavioral Health and Criminal/Juvenile Justice National and Regional Resources (PDF | 817 KB) – A brief hand-out reviewing SAMHSA Criminal Justice resources nationally and in Region 8.
- Behavioral Health Resources for Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families (SMVF) (PDF | 696 KB) - A brief hand-out reviewing SAMHSA SMVF resources nationally and in Region 8.
Region 9 (AZ, CA, HI, GU, NV, AS, CNMI, FSM, MH, PW)
Regional Administrator: Captain Emily Williams, LCSW-PIP, BCD
Region 10 (AK, ID, OR, WA)
Regional Administrator: David Dickinson, M.A.