Resources on this population include national survey reports, agency and federal initiatives, related behavioral health resources, and in-language resources.
SAMHSA Data, Reports, and Issue Briefs
- The Behavioral Health Barometer: United States, Volume 6 The national report presents data from the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health and the National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services. It is one of a series of national, regional, and state reports that provide a snapshot of substance use and mental health in the United States. Some measures include data presented by race/ethnicity and other demographic variables.
- 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Asians/Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders (NHOPI) This slide deck (available as a PPT and PDF) presents data specific to Asians/NHOPI based on the graphics, tables, and figures from the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) Annual Report.
- Advancing Best Practices in Behavioral Health for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Boys and Men This brief highlights existing programs that address behavioral health disparities among Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander boys and young men. It also outlines effective tools and best practices in working with this population.
A Snapshot of Behavioral Health Issues for Asian American/Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander Boys and Men: Jumpstarting an Overdue Conversation This brief highlights issues specific to Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander males. It provides clinicians with data on the prevalence of depression, suicide, and substance use disorders within these populations.
SAMHSA Behavioral Health Resources
- Strategies for Behavioral Health Organizations to Promote New Health Insurance Opportunities in Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Communities is a fact sheet that offers 10 outreach and enrollment strategies organizations can use to introduce AANHPI communities to the health insurance options under the Affordable Care Act.
Federal Initiatives and Resources
- Healthy Mind Initiative Addresses Mental Health of Asian American and Pacific Islander Youth is a guest blog post featured in the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD) Insights Blog describing the Healthy Mind Initiative (HMI), a federal and non-federal collaborative aimed to improve mental health literacy in AANHPI communities and address the mental health stigma and cultural barriers to seeking mental health treatment faced by AAPI youth and communities. SAMHSA is a key partner to HMI, which is led by the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Asian Pacific American Officers Committee (APAOC).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)’s Chartbook on Healthcare for Asians and Native Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders. This chartbook, developed in collaboration with SAMHSA’s Office of Behavioral Health Equity, includes selected demographics, and a summary of trends and figures across measures of healthcare access and quality for Asians and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders from the National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report (QDR). It is part of a series related to the QDR, which AHRQ produces each year.
- Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander (NHPI) National Health Interview Survey (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) is a national survey of about 3,000 households containing one or more NHPI residents conducted by the CDC in 2014. The NHPI NHIS was an unprecedented opportunity to collect rich and accurate information from a large NHPI sample about the health of Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders in all 50 states.
- Asian American Health Initiative Resource Library (Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services)
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Resource Guide (Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations)
- National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association
- National Asian Pacific American Families Against Substance Abuse
- National Council of Asian Pacific Islander Physicians
- Pacific Island Health Officers Association
- Selected Patient Information in Asian Languages (SPIRAL) by Topic from the Tufts University Hirsh Health Sciences Library