Shared decision-making tools help people in treatment and recovery work together with their providers to make the best plan for their needs and situation.
What is Shared Decision-Making?
Shared decision-making is an emerging best practice in behavioral and physical health that aims to help people in treatment and recovery have informed, meaningful, and collaborative discussions with providers about their health care services.
It involves tools and resources that offer objective information. People in treatment and recovery can then weigh that information against their personal preferences and values. Shared decision-making tools empower people who are seeking treatment or in recovery to work together with their service providers and be active in their own treatment.
Tools for Service Users and Providers
Bringing Recovery Supports to Scale Technical Assistance Center Strategy (BRSS TACS) offers tools to support shared decision-making.
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) and Opioid Use Disorder Tool
Decisions in Recovery: Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder is an innovative decision support tool for people in or seeking recovery from opioid use disorder, as well as for treatment providers. Use this tool to:
- Learn about MAT
- Compare treatment options
- Decide which option is the best one for you and your recovery
- Discuss your preferences with a treatment provider
For more information, download the Decisions in Recovery: Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Handbook. Learn more about this online tool from a SAMHSA blog post.
Antipsychotic Medications and Recovery Tool
SAMHSA offers the online tool Considering the Role of Antipsychotic Medications in My Recovery Plan for people using or seeking treatment services involving antipsychotic medications. Use this tool to:
- Compare available antipsychotic medications and their key side effects
- Find information about treatments, service options, and complementary approaches
- Consider your preferences on the role of antipsychotic medications in your recovery plan
- Create a personalized report to share with your service provider