Reports and Detailed Tables From the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH)
These reports and detailed tables present estimates from the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).
Annual National Report
Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators in the United States
NSDUH’s latest annual report focuses on substance use and mental health in the United States based on NSDUH data from 2018 and earlier years. The annual report presents estimates that meet the criteria for statistical precision and facilitate stable examination of trends over time to study changes in society and emerging issues. The 2018 Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators report summarizes the following:
- Substance use (alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, and inhalants, as well as the misuse of opioids, prescription pain relievers, tranquilizers or sedatives, stimulants, and benzodiazepines)
- Initiation of substance use
- Perceived risk from substance use
- Substance use disorders
- Any mental illness, serious mental illness, and major depressive episode
- Suicidal thoughts, plans, and non-fatal attempts for adults aged 18 or older
- Substance use treatment and mental health service use
The 2018 NSDUH Detailed Tables present national estimates of substance use and mental health. The focus is on trends between 2017 and 2018 and from 2002 to 2018, as well as differences across population subgroups in 2018. These tables present information for youths aged 12 to 17 and adults aged 18 or older (separately and combined) on drug, alcohol, and tobacco use, as well as substance use disorder (SUD), risk and availability of substance use, treatment, health topics, and alcohol consumption. Please refer to Chapter 4 of the Methodological Summary and Definitions report for more information.
Sections of the 2018 Detailed Tables:
Please refer to the related README file for instructions on how to use the Table of Contents and download files for faster viewing.
- Clickable Table of Contents
- Section 1: Illicit Drug Use/Misuse Tables - 1.1 to 1.122
- Section 2: Tobacco Product and Alcohol Use Tables - 2.1 to 2.35
- Section 3: Risk and Protective Factor Tables - 3.1 to 3.18
- Section 4: Incidence Tables - 4.1 to 4.8
- Section 5: Substance Use Disorder and Treatment Tables - 5.1 to 5.39
- Section 6: Miscellaneous Tables - 6.1 to 6.32
- Section 7: Trend Tables - 7.1 to 7.67
- Section 8: Adult Mental Health Tables - 8.1 to 8.70
- Section 9: Youth Mental Health Tables - 9.1 to 9.11
- Section 10: Adult Mental Health Trend Tables - 10.1 to 10.43
- Section 11: Youth Mental Health Trend Tables - 11.1 to 11.14
- Section 12: Sample Size and Population Tables - 12.1 to 12.9
- Appendix A: Key Definitions for the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health
- Appendix B: List of Tables
- Appendix C: List of Contributors
For a description of changes to the measures and more about the organization and purposes of the tables and table indicators, please see the Introduction section of the tables.
The 2018 Methodological Summary and Definitions report summarizes the 2018 NSDUH methods and other supporting information relevant to estimates of substance use and mental health issues. This report accompanies the annual detailed tables and provides information on key definitions for many of the measures and terms used in these detailed tables and in other 2018 NSDUH documents, along with further analytic details on these measures and the survey. The report is organized into five chapters:
- Chapter 1 is an introduction to the report.
- Chapter 2 describes the survey, including information about the sample design; data collection procedures; and key aspects of data processing, such as development of analysis weights.
- Chapter 3 presents technical details on the statistical methods and measurement, such as suppression criteria for unreliable estimates, statistical testing procedures, and issues for selected substance use and mental health measures.
- Chapter 4 covers special topics related to prescription psychotherapeutic drugs.
- Chapter 5 describes other sources of data on substance use and mental health issues, including data sources for populations outside the NSDUH target population.
- Appendix A is a glossary that covers key definitions for use as a resource with the 2018 NSDUH reports and detailed tables.
- Appendix B provides a list of contributors to the report.