Drug Abuse Warning Network
Mental Health Client-Level Data
National Mental Health Services Survey
National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services
National Survey on Drug Use and Health
- NSDUH State Reports
- NSDUH Substate Reports
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Data Archive
Treatment Episode Data Set
Uniform Reporting System
2017 National Survey of Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) Releases
These reports and detailed tables present estimates from the 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).
Annual National Report
Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators in the United States
The 2017 Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators report summarizes the following:
- Substance use (alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, and inhalants, as well as the misuse of opioids, prescription pain relievers, tranquilizers, stimulants, and sedatives)
- Initiation of substance use
- Perceived risk from substance use
- Substance use disorders
- Any mental illness, serious mental illness, and major depressive episode
- Suicidal thoughts, plans, and non-fatal attempts for adults ages 18 or older
- Substance use treatment and mental health service use
The 2017 NSDUH Detailed Tables present national estimates of substance use and mental health. The focus is on trends between 2016 and 2017 and from 2002 to 2017, as well as differences across population subgroups in 2017. Please refer to Section C of the Methodological Summary and Definitions report for more information.
Sections of the 2017 Detailed Tables:
- Section 1: Illicit Drug Use Tables – Tables 1.1 to 1.116
- Section 2: Tobacco Product and Alcohol Use Tables – Tables 2.1 to 2.53
- Section 3: Risk and Protective Factor Tables – Tables 3.1 to 3.33
- Section 4: Incidence Tables – Tables 4.1 to 4.13
- Section 5: Substance Use Disorder and Treatment Tables – Tables 5.1 to 5.54
- Section 6: Miscellaneous Tables – Tables 6.1 to 6.90
- Section 7: Trend Tables – Tables 7.1 to 7.40
- Section 8: Adult Mental Health Tables – Tables 8.1 to 8.85
- Section 9: Youth Mental Health Tables – Tables 9.1 to 9.15
- Section 10: Adult Mental Health Trend Tables – Tables 10.1 to 10.41
- Section 11: Youth Mental Health Trend Tables – Tables 11.1 to 11.6
- Section 12: Sample Size and Population Tables – Tables 12.1 to 12.9
For a description of changes to the measures and more about the organization and purposes of the tables and table indicators, please see the Introduction section of the tables.
The 2017 Methodological Summary and Definitions report summarizes the 2017 NSDUH methods and other supporting information that are relevant to estimates of substance use and mental health issues. This report is organized into seven sections:
- Section A describes the survey, including information about the sample design; data collection procedures; and key aspects of data processing, such as development of analysis weights.
- Section B presents technical details on the statistical methods and measurement, such as suppression criteria for unreliable estimates, statistical testing procedures, and issues for selected substance use and mental health measures.
- Section C covers special topics for the redesigned NSDUH prescription drug questions, including the effects of 2017 questionnaire changes on estimates.
- Section D includes a glossary that covers key definitions used in the NSDUH reports and detailed tables.
- Section E describes other sources of data on substance use and mental health issues, including data sources for populations outside the NSDUH target population.
- Section F lists references cited in the report.
- Section G lists contributors to the report.