Behavioral health issues are the most significant risk to the safety of law enforcement officers.
Shield of Resilience is a training course that helps law enforcement officers learn to recognize signs and symptoms of stress, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and suicidal thoughts and actions.
This course will suggest ways to develop and build resiliency, and offer tips on where and how to seek help, if it is needed.
Shield of Resilience—which includes videos, quizzes, resources, and a final exam—will help law enforcement officers understand:
- The unique stressors that law enforcement officers are exposed to in the course of their duties
- How to recognize the signs and symptoms of acute and chronic stress, depression, and PTSD
- The signs and symptoms of suicidal ideation and how to talk with a fellow officer who may be experiencing suicidal thoughts
- How to facilitate peer-to-peer behavioral health support
- The resources and support tools that help build resiliency
- Where to find help and support for themselves or fellow officers
Take the Course
Note: You will need to check with your department’s training officer to see if this course has been Police Officer Standards Training (POST) approved.
For additional trainings, including those specifically designed for first responders, visit the Online DTAC Training Courses web page.