Mono Bar

Main page content


Find Support banner


Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re on the District of Columbia's Medicaid Program or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


If you're part of D.C.'s Medicaid program, you can search for community-based service providers for the type of health care professional you would like to see. Learn more about the types of providers. You can call or visit a provider to help you make a choice. 

You can also talk with a mental health counselor day or night by calling the Access Helpline 1-888-7WE-HELP to help you select the most appropriate provider. 

For more information, visit the Behavioral Health Resources for a list available services in the District.

BHN State Page Block

If you have concerns about getting to an appointment, your state’s Medicaid program may offer help with transportation (PDF | 1 MB).

You can also:

  • Ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend, if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.

Last Updated

Last Updated: 04/24/2023

Last Updated