Mono Bar

Main page content


Find Support banner


Find Help for Mental Health, Drugs, or Alcohol if You’re on Vermont's Medicaid Program or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


If you’re part of Vermont’s Medicaid Qualified Health Plans (QHP), it will cover treatment for mental health, drug, or alcohol issues. Talk to your main doctor (PCP) to help you find the right health care professional or program. If you don’t know if you’re part of a QHP or not, call the number on your insurance card or talk to your PCP.

Vermont's Department of Mental Health designates one Designated Agency (DA) in each region of the state to provide mental health programs for adults and children. Select your county to find the DA in your areaLearn more about the types of providers.

BHN State Page Block

If you have concerns about getting to an appointment, your state’s Medicaid program may offer help with transportation (PDF | 1 MB).

You can also:

  • Ask your doctor, social worker, loved ones, or a trusted friend, if they know any health care professionals or programs.
  • Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Many will list a number for mental health and substance use (sometimes called behavioral health) or a nurse line. You can ask them for help finding and getting services.
  • Use the SAMHSA search for health care professionals and programs or call 1-800-662-4357 any time day or night. The call line has people who can speak with you in English or Spanish.
  • Find a health center that provides free or low-cost care.
  • If you have a job, ask your employer’s human resources department if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a free and confidential service that your company pays for. The service can help employees with mental health, drug or alcohol use, grief, and trauma.
  • If you’re a student, look for your school’s health center or peer support group.
  • Learn about support groups.

Last Updated

Last Updated: 04/24/2023

Last Updated