SAMHSA’s GAINS Center for Behavioral Health and Justice Transformation helps to expand community services for adults who are in the criminal justice system and experiencing a mental and/or substance use disorder.
SAMHSA’s GAINS Center provides technical assistance and support to the following:
- Professionals working in the fields of behavioral health and criminal justice
- States and communities across the country who are working to achieve integrated systems of mental health and substance use services
The GAINS Center provides information and skills training to help individuals and organizations at the local, state, regional, and national levels implement effective, integrated programming that will transform the criminal justice and behavioral health systems.
The GAINS Model
The GAINS model was developed when the center was first established and is still at the heart of the Center today. The model includes the following core strategies:
- Gather: Screen for and collect new research findings and best practices
- Assess: Synthesize this information into appropriate and targeted communication for various types of users
- Integrate: Organize facilitated learning and follow through
- Network: Build and strengthen networks and infrastructure
- Stimulate: Identify and use the most cost-effective ways of achieving significant results