Use these forms and resources to help you prepare your application.
If you are applying for a SAMHSA grant, you must download the application forms found on Grants.gov. This website is the source for finding federal grant opportunities, downloading forms, and submitting an application. Additional forms available only on SAMHSA’s website also may be required. Read the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) carefully to determine which forms you must include in your application. Applications that do not include all required forms will be screened out and will not be eligible for review.
Additional Forms for Submission
HHS 690 Form
Every grant applicant must have a completed HHS 690 form (PDF | 291 KB) on file with the Department of Health and Human Services. Your signature acknowledges that you agree to comply with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975.
Charitable Choice Form – SMA 170
You may be required to submit an Assurance of Compliance with SAMHSA Charitable Choice Statutes and Regulations form SMA 170 (PDF | 23 KB). Check the NOFO to determine if this form is required for the grant program for which you are applying.
Other Application Materials
Assurances and Certifications
When the Authorized Organization Representative (AOR) signs the Application for Federal Assistance SF-424 form, they certify that the statements contained in the SAMHSA List of Certifications (PDF | 11 KB) are true. Their signature also certifies that they agree to comply with the SF-424B (Assurances for Non-construction) Form (PDF | 115 KB).
SAMHSA Budget Template
To expedite review of your application, it is highly recommended you use the SAMHSA budget template below to complete the Detailed Budget and Narrative Justification for submission with your application. For SAMHSA to view all of your budget data, you must convert the PDF to a non-editable format by PRINTING TO PDF before submission:
Note: To download the SAMHSA Budget Template (PDF)":
- Right-click the link "SAMHSA Budget Template (PDF)"
- Select "save link as" and save to a location on your computer
- Go to the saved location and open the "SAMHSA Budget Template (PDF)"
IMPORTANT: For the PDF template to function as designed, it must be opened directly in Adobe Acrobat or Reader instead of the browser.
The following documents provide guidance on using the budget template:
- Key Features of the Budget Template (PDF | 219 KB)
- Budget Template User Guide (PDF | 12.9 MB)
- Budget Review Checklist (DOC | 135 KB) – use this checklist to review your Detailed Budget and Narrative Justification before submission to SAMHSA.
The following PDFs are samples of Detailed Budgets and Narrative Justification:
Additional Information for Completing Your Grant Application
- Guidance describing use of Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant Funds to support SSPs (PDF | 88 KB)
- SAMHSA-specific Guidance for Minority HIV/AIDS Initiative (MAI) Programs Implementing SSPs (PDF | 86 KB)
- See Data, Outcomes, and Quality (DOQ) for information about substance use and mental health problems and trends at the state level and some smaller geopolitical areas.
- Guidelines for Consumer and Family Participation will help applicant organizations promote consumer and family participation in grant programs.
- Directory of Single State Substance Abuse Agencies (PDF | 453 KB)
- Directory of Single State Mental Health Authorities Directory (PDF | 392 KB)
- Guide to Evidence-Based Practices will help you find websites with information about evidence-based practices to prevent and/or treat mental health and substance use disorders.
- Evidence-Based Practices Resource Center is a searchable online database of mental health and substance abuse interventions. Search it to find which may best meet your needs.
- Developing a Competitive SAMHSA Grant Application (PDF | 950 KB) will provide you with valuable information about how to prepare a strong application.