These resources provide additional information about block grants.
Fiscal Year 2016-2017 Block Grant Application and Plan
Fiscal Year (FY) 2016-2017 Block Grant Documents
- FY 2014-2015 MH Block Grant Reporting (use for December 1, 2015 MHBG Reporting) (PDF | 1.3 MB)
- FY 2016-2017 Block Grant Application FAQ (DOCX | 30 KB)
- SABG Funding Agreements FY 2016-2017 (PDF | 284 KB)
- MHBG Funding Agreements FY 2016-2017 (PDF | 90 KB)
- FY 2016-2017 SABG Reporting Sections (PDF | 1.1 MB)
- FY 2016-2017 MHBG Reporting Sections (PDF | 1.9 MB)
- FY 2016-2017 Block Grant Application (PDF | 1.9 MB)
- OMB Approval 0930-0168 (PDF | 44 KB)
FY 2016-17 Block Grants Resources
- Guidance for Block Grant Funds for Cost-Sharing Assistance for Private Health Insurance (PDF | 203 KB)
- Guidance on SABG and MHBG Requirements (PDF | 1.6 MB) — Resource for funding of for-profits organizations, vendor compliance and audit requirements for sub-recipients and vendors
- Letter to SSA Directors (PDF | 273 KB) — Guidance to states regarding the use of SABG funds for a specific target population, specifically tribal members.
- Grantee Experience: Voucher Management Systems as a Program and Financial Management Tool (PDF | 1.1 MB) — This Technical Assistance (TA) package to help grantees understand and use Voucher Management Systems
- Access to Recovery Service Menus and Recovery Support Services (PDF | 611 KB) — This TA package provides information, resources, tips, and tools to help grantee key staff understand the role of service menus and recovery support services in the continuing transformation of the SUD system of care.
- Independent Evaluation of the Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant Program
Syringe Services Program Guidance for States and Jurisdictions
- Guidance for Syringe Services Programs (SSPs) — 2016 (PDF | 88 KB) — Guidance describing use of Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant Funds to support syringe services programs (SSPs)
- FY 2016-2016 Uniform Application Section III. Behavioral Health Assessment and Plan Subsection D. Environmental Factors and Plan - Amendment (PDF | 184 KB)
- Amendment to FY 2016-2017 Uniform Application Memorandum (PDF | 539 KB)
Summary Data reports from FY 2013-2018 MHBG and SABG Block Grants
- SABG Unduplicated Count of Persons Served by Age Group with Gender & Race Breakout (XLS | 766 KB)
- SABG Prevention Persons Served by Race and Ethnicity — Individual Programs (XLS | 109 KB)
- MHBG Unduplicated Persons Served Count by Age Group with Gender & Race Breakdown (XLS | 1.47 MB)
- MHBG Prevention Persons Served by Age Group and Gender — Individual Programs (XLS | 129 KB)
FY 2014-15 Block Grants Resources
- FY 2014 – FY 2015 Block Grant Application (PDF | 616 KB) — This Office of Management and Budget (OMB)-approved guidance addresses applications and timelines, assessments and plans, reporting, and required forms. This is for informational purposes only.
- FY 2014 – FY 2015 Reporting Section (PDF | 1.3 MB) — This OMB-approved guidance provides information on MHBG and SABG reporting for grantees, including sample tables. This is for informational purposes only.
- OMB Notice of Approval — OMB Approval of the FY 2014-2015 Uniform Block Grant Application/Plan and Report. This is for informational purposes only.
- Funding of For-Profit Organizations (PDF | 1.6 MB) — This document provides guidance to block grant recipients on funding for for-profit organizations.
Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant (SABG) Resources
- Directory of Single State Agencies (SSA) for Substance Abuse Services (PDF | 305 KB)
- Use of Block Grant Funds for Prescription Overdose (PDF | 604 KB) — This document provides guidance and resources related to use SABG funds for prescription overdose prevention, education and treatment.
- CEO's Funding Agreements/Certifications (Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment) [Form 3] (PDF | 62 KB) — The applicant's chief executive officer (CEO) must complete this certification, indicating that the applicant complies with all statutory requirements of the grant.
- SABG Nondiscrimination Letter (PDF | 257 KB) — This letter provides guidance to block grant recipients regarding non-discrimination and the provision of services to all clients.
- SABG Fact Sheet (PDF | 80 KB) — An overview of the SABG's purpose, including a description of the mandatory allocations for the program
- SABG Maintenance of Effort Fact Sheet — A review of the SABG Maintenance of Effort (MOE) requirements and available resources
- SABG Maintenance of Effort Letter to the SSA's and MH Commissioners (COVID-19) (PDF | 570 KB)
- SABG Early Intervention Services for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) (PDF | 28 KB) — A fact sheet about the SABG requirement to provide early intervention for HIV at sites where individuals receive substance use disorder treatment services
- SABG Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Services (ADMS) and Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grants Women's Services (PDF | 25 KB) — A review of the requirements for the SABG set-aside for women and women with dependents. This includes a purpose statement and resources.
- SABG Crosswalk for Title XIX, Part B, Subparts II and III and 45 CFR 96.120-137 (PDF | 45 KB) — Crosswalk of the SABG requirements against statute and regulation
- Joint bulletin on Medication-Assisted Treatment – 2014 (PDF | 155 KB)
Community Mental Health Services Block Grant (MHBG) Resources
- MHBG 10 Percent Set-Aside Guidance (PDF | 92 KB) — Mental Health Block Grant 10 percent Set-Aside Guidance: Guidance for the required 10 percent set aside of the Mental Health Block Grant (MHBG) allocation to support evidence-based programs that address the needs of individuals with a first episode psychosis as directed by Congress through its FY 2016 Omnibus bill, Public Law 114-113.
- Guidance for the Development of State Suicide Prevention Plans (PDF | 156 KB) — (Updated 4-21-14) SAMHSA recommends that behavioral health (BH) agencies play a leadership role in suicide prevention efforts. This guidance recommends that states lead suicide prevention efforts by making suicide prevention a central public health and BH issue. The guidance emphasizes the value of having a written strategic plan that addresses suicide across the lifespan (that is, youth, midlife, and old age) and the unique challenges related to factors such as race, ethnicity, and geographic location.
- Best Practices for State Behavioral Health Planning Councils: The Road to Planning Council Integration (PDF | 856 KB) — The document provides guidance and best practices to mental health planning councils transitioning to a behavioral health planning council. The guide reviews the factors involved in transitioning to a behavioral health planning council, best practices and technical assistance resources.
- Behavioral Health Barometer, 2013 — Presents a set of substance use and mental health indicators from population- and treatment facility-based data sets. Provides point-in-time and trend data reflecting the status and progress in improving key behavioral health indicators.
- Data, Outcomes, and Quality (DOQ) — Is a mental health and substance use data, outcomes, and quality resource. Includes data compilations of Behavioral Health Prevalence Data (NSDUH), National Outcomes Measures (NOMs), Treatment Data (TEDS), and other data sources.