SAMHSA Discretionary grants for a project period containing more than one budget period must apply for continued funding before SAMHSA can award the next budget period of the project. Continuation awards will depend on the availability of funds, recipient progress in meeting project goals and objectives, timely submission of required data and reports, and compliance with all terms and conditions of award.
The continuation application due date for each award can be found in eRA Commons by selecting the Non-Research tab, then the Manage Continuations tab, and searching for the award number.
Recipients must submit a continuation application before SAMHSA can issue an award to fund the next budget period of the project.
An email notification from eRA (sender: era-notify) regarding the continuation application submission will be sent to the Business Official and Project Director. Grant-specific details will be included in these notifications. A copy of this notification can be found on the “Status Information” page in eRA Commons.
- Continuation applications are for the upcoming budget period; therefore, do not include any carryover or supplemental funding associated with the current budget period.
- If you are in the final budget period of your project, a continuation application is not required.
- The continuation application can only be initiated and submitted through the eRA Commons system. You will need to have an active SAM.gov registration; submissions directly through Grants.gov are not supported and will not be accepted.
- Please note: Effective October 1, 2020 SAMHSA will no longer include the HHS Checklist in the grant application kit. This applies to all SAMHSA applications: responses to Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs), post-award amendments, continuations, and supplement applications. See Removal of HHS Checklist from the SAMHSA Grant Application Kit for more information on where to enter name and contact information for the Project Director (PD) and Business Official (BO) in the SF-424.
- Attachment A: Continuation Application Package (PDF | 195 KB) – provides specific instructions regarding the continuation application.
- Attachment B: How to Submit Continuation Applications through eRA Commons (PDF | 2.3 MB) – provides instructions on how to access and submit the continuation application via eRA Commons.
Additional Forms to Include in Your Submission
Note: In eRA Commons, click "Add Optional Form" and select "Other Narrative Attachment" to upload the additional forms noted below:
- Disclosure of Lobbying Activities (PDF | 33 KB): Only required if there is a change in the Lobbying Status from the original submission.
- Charitable Choice Form SMA-170 (PDF | 23 KB): If the organization is not faith-based, indicate “Not Applicable” on the form and upload.
SF-424A for Continuation Applications
The following documents provide guidance on completing the SF-424A Form – Budget Information for matching and non-matching programs:
- Guidance on Completing the SF 424A Form – Budget Information - MATCH Not Required (PDF | 310 KB)
- Guidance on Completing the SF 424A Form – Budget Information - MATCH Required (PDF | 398 KB)
Sample budgets that may be used to prepare the detailed budget and narrative justification:
NOTE: Documents to be uploaded in the "Budget Narrative" tab in eRA Commons:
- Detailed Budget and Narrative Justification, OR
- Attestation Letter (Signed by the Authorized Organization Representative – AOR)
- Video on how to submit a Continuation Application (7 minutes)
- Roles in eRA Commons (PDF| 261 KB)
- Instructions on how to add or update accounts in eRA Commons (PDF| 203 KB)
- Instructions on how to request Signing Official (SO) access for eRA Commons (PDF| 192 KB)
- Instructions on how to edit and delete a returned Continuation Application (PDF | 672 KB)
- eRA Service Desk for any technical questions regarding the application submission process.
- Grants Management Specialist for budget-related questions.
- Government Project Officer for programmatic questions.