Grants for the Benefit of Homeless Individuals (GBHI)
SAMHSA’s Grants for the Benefit of Homeless Individuals (GBHI) program expands community treatment and recovery services.
The GBHI program is a competitive grant program administered by the SAMHSA Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT). The goal of the program is to help communities expand and strengthen treatment and recovery support services for individuals (including youth and families) experiencing homelessness who have substance use disorders or co-occurring mental and substance use disorders.
SAMHSA funds will support three primary types of activities:
- Substance use disorders or co-occurring mental and substance use disorders treatment and other recovery-oriented services;
- Coordination of housing and services that support the implementation and/or enhance the long-term sustainability of integrated community systems that provide permanent housing and supportive services to the target population; and
- Efforts to engage and connect clients who experience substance use disorders or co-occurring disorders to enrollment resources for health insurance, Medicaid, and mainstream benefits programs (e.g., Supplemental Security Income [SSI]/Social Security Disability Insurance [SSDI], Temporary Assistance for Needy Families [TANF], Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program [SNAP]).
Grants are awarded for up to 5 years to domestic public and private nonprofit entities.
Supported Activities for GBHI
GBHI services may include:
- Outreach and engagement for the population of focus
- Mental and substance use screening and assessment
- Direct treatment for substance use and co-occurring disorders
- Assistance in accessing permanent housing
- Case management and recovery support services
- Enrollment for health insurance, Medicaid, SSI/SSDI, and other mainstream benefits
- Access to recovery support services
Other SAMHSA Homelessness Programs and Services
- Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH)
- Treatment for Individuals Experiencing Homelessness (TIEH)
- SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR)
Find information about current grant announcements.