SAMHSA's Grants for the Benefit of Homeless Individuals–Services in Supportive Housing (GBHI–SSH) program expands community treatment and recovery services.
The GBHI–SSH program is a competitive grant program administered by the SAMHSA Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT). The goal of the program is to help communities expand and strengthen treatment and recovery support services for veterans who experience homelessness and non-veteran individuals and families who experience chronic homelessness.
GBHI-SSH supports the development and/or expansion of local implementation and community infrastructures that integrate treatment and services for:
- Substance use
- Co-occurring mental and substance use disorders
- Permanent supportive housing
- Other critical services
SAMHSA seeks to place more program participants, including veterans and other individuals, in permanent housing. This effort supports recovery through comprehensive treatment and recovery-oriented services for behavioral health.
Grants are awarded for up to 3 years to community-based public or nonprofit entities.
Supported Activities for GBHI-SSH
GBHI–SSH services may include:
- Outreach and engagement for the population of focus
- Behavioral health screening and assessment
- Direct treatment for substance use and co-occurring disorders
- Assistance in accessing permanent housing
- Case management and recovery support services
- Enrollment for health insurance, Medicaid, SSI/SSDI, and other mainstream benefits
- Access to recovery support services
Other SAMHSA Homelessness Programs and Services
SAMHSA’s targeted homelessness programs are part of SAMHSA’s Recovery Support Strategic Initiative. One goal of the strategic initiative is to increase access to permanent housing for people with mental and/or substance use disorders and their families. This effort aligns with the concept of safe and stable housing being a critical component of recovery. SAMHSA’s homelessness programs support various behavioral health treatments and recovery-oriented services.
Other SAMHSA homelessness programs and services include:
- Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH)
- Cooperative Agreements to Benefit Homeless Individuals (CABHI)
- SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR)
Find information about current grant announcements.