The TIEH program is a competitive grant program administered by the SAMHSA Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS). The goal of the program is to increase access to evidence-based treatment services, peer support, services that support recovery, and connections to permanent housing.
SAMHSA funds will support three primary types of activities:
- Integrated mental and substance use disorders treatment and other recovery-oriented services
- Efforts to engage and connect clients to enrollment resources for health insurance, Medicaid, and mainstream benefits (e.g. Supplemental Security Income [SSI]/Social Security Disability Insurance [SSDI], Temporary Assistance for Needy Families [TANF], Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program [SNAP])
- Coordination of housing and services that support sustainable permanent housing
In addition to strengthening behavioral health treatment, the TIEH grant requires linkages to the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Coordinated Entry system.
Grants are awarded for up to 5 years to states, governmental units within political subdivisions of a state, federally recognized American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) tribes, tribal organizations, Urban Indian Organizations, and a consortia of tribes or tribal organizations, and domestic public and private nonprofit entities.
Supported Activities for TIEH Programs
TIEH services may include:
- Outreach and engagement for the population of focus
- Mental and substance use disorders screening and assessment
- Direct treatment for serious mental illness, serious emotional disturbance, and co-occurring disorders
- Assistance with identifying sustainable permanent housing
- Case management and recovery support services
- Enrollment for health insurance, Medicaid, SSI/SSDI, and other mainstream benefits
Other SAMHSA Homelessness Programs and Services
Other SAMHSA homelessness programs and services include:
- Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH)
- Cooperative Agreements to Benefit Homelessness Individuals (CABHI)
- Grants for the Benefit of Homeless Individuals (GBHI)
- SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR)
Find information about current grant announcements.