Access online learning modules and earn free continuing education units (CEUs) on topics related to behavioral health and homelessness.
SAMHSA’s online courses provide guidance on building systems of care for people experiencing homelessness. These courses are tailored to health professionals working with homeless populations who want to increase their understanding of comprehensive approaches for addressing homelessness through collaboration and partnerships.
Continuing education units (CEUs) are offered by the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC).
Partnering for Change
The Partnering for Change online course features a proven eight-step approach (The Partnering Model) to address homelessness and behavioral health issues in your community that includes:
- Scanning the environment
- Identifying change agents
- Securing resources to support the effort
- Bringing people to the table
- Developing a strategic plan
- Building strategic partnerships
- Implementing integration strategies
- Monitoring changes
Based on best practices, the partnering model provides guidance for every stage in your work and can help save time, effort, and valuable resources. The course includes one module with an average duration of an hour.
Strategies for Change
The Strategies for Change online course offers practical advice for how to plan, organize, and sustain a comprehensive and integrated system of care for people experiencing homelessness. The course also addresses chronic homelessness and strategies for reaching people experiencing serious mental illnesses, including those with co-occurring mental and substance use disorders. The course includes five modules:
- Homelessness 101: Gives an overview of the causes of homelessness, risk factors, and potential solutions for homelessness
- Strategic Practices: Introduces evidence-based and promising practices that may form a comprehensive approach to addressing homelessness, including mental health services, alcohol and drug misuse treatment, and prevention
- Partnering and Planning: Offers steps for developing a comprehensive method to address homelessness through system change
- Financing: Provides agencies and communities with information on how to obtain funding for housing and supportive services for people experiencing homelessness
- Evaluation: Offers strategies for performing evaluations of homelessness programs and efforts to assess their effectiveness
Each module is worth one CEU credit. The type of credit varies depending on the module. The average duration of each module is one hour.
How to Register
You must create an online account before enrolling in either course.
Creating an Account
- Create an account on the online learning portal. Select “Create a New Account” and enter a username and password.
- Fill out the “New Account” form with your personal information. Once the form is complete, select the “Create my New Account” button.
- You will receive an email with instructions for how to confirm your new account.
Enrolling in a Course
- Log into the online learning portal using your account username and password.
- Once you are logged in, a listing of available courses will be displayed. Choose the course you want to enroll in by selecting the “Enroll Me in this Course” button.
- You are now enrolled and may access the full course. You only need to enroll in a course once. Once enrolled, you may access the course anytime you log into the online learning portal.