Find tools that help states, tribes, and communities use IECMHC to promote the mental health and school readiness of young children.
The Center of Excellence's Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation (IECMHC) Toolbox offers interactive planning tools, guides, videos, and other resources to support IECMHC efforts in your state, tribe, or community.
Adults who work with young children can broadly support children's healthy development, from infancy through the transition to school, by incorporating IECMHC and the resources in the Toolbox into all early childhood programs.
A first-of-its-kind resource for the field of IECMHC, the Toolbox comprises dozens of original resources including PDFs, interactive products, and videos.
The Toolbox offers:
- Information about the latest research and best practices for IECMHC in infant and early childhood settings where consultation occurs, such as home visiting, early care, and education
- Resources and strategies on best practices to help fill the gap in areas where additional guidance is needed to advance the field of IECMHC
The contents of the Toolbox will be piloted in 14 states and tribal communities through expert mentoring provided by the Center of Excellence for IECMHC. The Center will leverage pilot sites' successes, challenges, and innovations in the coming years to continue moving the field forward. The Center also uses the Toolbox to develop products and webinars that share lessons learned and case examples.
Although it isn’t necessary to explore the Toolbox in a certain order, this section is a great place to start. Both veterans and those new to the IECMHC field can benefit from reviewing the clear definitions and distinctive mental health services for children and families in these documents and videos:
- Development of the IECMHC Toolbox: Purpose, Process, and Contributors – 2017 (PDF | 402 KB) outlines the purpose of the Toolbox and its development, and acknowledges those who contributed to it.
- Glossary and Definitions for IECMHC – 2017 (PDF | 928 KB) defines terms frequently used throughout the IECMHC Toolbox and in the IECMHC field.
- Crosswalk of Early Childhood Mental Health Services – 2017 (PDF | 321 KB) aims to clarify the unique role that IECMHC plays among other services focused on young children’s mental health.
- The video Setting Children Up for Success: Beginning with IECMHC and the Center of Excellence Toolbox (three minutes, 30 seconds) explains how the Toolbox expands the reach of IECMHC and advances the field of IECMHC in the words of Center staff, SAMHSA staff, and IECMHC experts.
- The video A Day in the Life of an Early Infant and Childhood Mental Health Consultant (two minutes) illustrates the mental health consultation process.
Equity and Tribal Considerations
Promoting equity and working with tribal communities are central to the Center’s work. These efforts have shaped much of the content contained in the Toolbox and are also worth exploring at the outset.
Explore other sections of the IECMHC Toolbox for additional guidance: