Use the interactive planning guide to strengthen your IECMHC model. Learn about successful national models.
Vision Statement on Models
The Center’s vision is that infant and early childhood mental health consultation (IECMHC) models for states, tribes, and communities will be evidence-based, data-informed, culturally responsive, equitable, and sustained. Over time, there will be consensus about and widespread use of fully articulated, national models that can be adopted and implemented with fidelity and that lead to positive outcomes for children, providers, programs, and communities.
IECMHC delivery models should meet the needs of a particular community, state, or tribe. The interactive Planning Guide for Developing and Implementing an Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation Model at EDC.org is a good place to start when developing your model. A text-only, accessible version of the planning guide is also available. This tool helps teams plan and develop a successful IECMHC model. While it does not advocate for any specific model, the planning guide shares core components of national models that research has shown to be successful.
The guide helps teams assess their readiness and capacity to design and implement an IECMHC model. Assessment results identify areas that are well-developed and areas that may need to be developed or strengthened further. As part of its step-by-step process, the guide also addresses key questions such as:
- Who will lead your efforts?
- Who should advise your efforts?
- How will services be funded?
- Who will receive services?
- How frequently will services be offered?
- How long will services last?
- Who will provide the consultation, and what skills do consultants need?
- How will you evaluate your efforts?
Use the following interactive modules in conjunction with the planning guide:
- Getting Ready: Resources for Planning to Develop Your IECMHC Model – 2017 (PDF | 527 KB)
- Taking Action: Resources for Engaging in the Work – 2017 (PDF | 471 KB)
- Resources From the Interactive Models Assessment and Planning Guide Module – 2017 (PDF | 565 KB)
The following documents and resources provide additional planning and development guidance:
- The Core Team Action Plan – 2017 (PDF | 326 KB) helps teams gauge partnerships with key IECMHC entities.
- The Sample Needs Assessment – 2017 (PDF | 795 KB) helps teams identify strengths, needs, and gap areas.
- Developing and Disseminating an IECMHC Vision Tip Sheet – 2017 (PDF | 365 KB) provides common characteristics of vision statements and examples.
- Determining Your Audience – 2017 (PDF | 297 KB) is a worksheet to help teams identify potential communities to serve, evidence of need, available or potential funding sources, collaborators, and next steps.
- Types of Consultation Services – 2017 (PDF | 388 KB) provides a roadmap for IECMHC services for each level of consultation: programmatic, child- and family-focused, and classroom- and group-focused.
- Considerations for Addressing Capacity and Dosage in IECMHC – 2017 (PDF | 930 KB) is a worksheet to address the number of sites served and the frequency and duration of visits in IECMHC programs.
- The Arizona Smart Support Approach for Goodness of Fit – 2017 (PDF | 277 KB) checklist provides a framework for fidelity checks of IECMHC services.
- Colorado IECMHC Interview Questions – 2017 (PDF | 22 KB) are sample questions for hiring a mental health consultant.
- The Building Blocks for Designing an IECMHC Program (PDF | 274 KB) guide explains the essential building blocks for designing or strengthening an IECMHC program. Use the accompanying worksheet (PDF | 142 KB) to assess the building blocks of your program.
- The Understanding Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation and the Pyramid Model: How Do These Approaches Fit Together, and How Are They Different? (PDF | 218 KB) document explores differences, similarities, and synergies between IECMHC and the Pyramid Model for supporting social and emotional competence in infants and young children. Review the accompanying document, Understanding IECMHC and the Pyramid Model (PDF | 194 KB), for a graphic summary of IECMHC and the Pyramid Model.
Find additional resources in the IECMHC Toolbox, including guidance on: