2019 Outcomes Report
Read the 2019 Outcomes Report to learn about the highlights and successes from NPW 2019 that inspired action and changed lives. Some main highlights include:
- Continued Engagement: #NPW2019 experienced more than 33 million potential social media impressions on social media, and #NationalPreventionWeek garnered approximately 885,000 additional potential impressions during the week itself (May 12–18).
- Brand Awareness: People have visited the NPW homepage more than 23,000 times so far this year, with 60 percent of these visits coming from Google, indicating a broad awareness of NPW.
- Resources: Online users downloaded components of the NPW Planning Toolkit, which helps communities and partner organizations plan prevention events and activities, more than 11,200 times.
- Community Organizations: Community organizations shared more than 90 NPW 2019 events and activities through the event submission form, detailing how they spread the word about NPW in creative ways, including sports tournaments, video public service announcement challenges, faith-based activities, concerts, block parties, educational forums, and workplace wellness fairs.
- Partners: Forty-one federal and national NPW partners helped the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) raise awareness and action around substance misuse prevention and positive mental health in communities. This year, partners got involved in NPW webinars as speakers, hosted NPW community events and activities, participated in the NPW Workgroup, and promoted NPW through their own social media channels.
Promotional Video: This is Prevention. This is Changing Lives.
The NPW 2019 promotional video showcases real prevention efforts. All across the country, incredible people are investing in their communities, investing in prevention. They are standing up to prevent the misuse of illegal drugs, opioids, marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol, and to prevent suicide and mental illness. They are helping their community to work harder and smarter, inspiring prevention actions that take root and grow into real change. They are teaching us that anyone and everyone can be a part of prevention, and they are changing lives.
Prevention Challenge: #PreventionChampion
SAMHSA’s NPW 2019 Prevention Challenge was all about recognizing Prevention Champions and inspiring behavior change—those individuals, activities, programs, or organizations that inspire others to take prevention actions every day to change lives and create healthier futures for ourselves and our community.
SAMHSA challenged NPW partners, CSAP and SAMHSA grantees, states, communities, and the public to share their Prevention Champion on social media. Participants posted the one word that best described that person or thing, along with an image, video, gif, or other digital content, and used the hashtags #PreventionChampion and #NPW2019.
In response, nearly 500 of you created more than 5.54 million potential impressions across social media from February through May. Social media posts appear in the digital mosaic below.