Hosting an Event
One of the most popular ways to raise awareness about prevention is to host a community event or activity. Events help others see what you’re doing for prevention while also bringing your community together.
Anyone, from an individual to an organization, can plan an event. Here are some ideas from past events to inspire you:
- Organize a health fair.
- Paint a school mural themed around living healthy lives.
- Throw an ice cream social to reduce stress on campus.
- Sponsor a fun run/walk for prevention.
- Have a moment of silence in honor of prevention.
So, how can you get started with hosting an NPW community event or activity?
- Download the National Prevention Week Toolkit. The Toolkit has all the information you need to jumpstart your prevention event planning. You can also order a free National Prevention Week wristband, which doubles as a flash drive and contains the full Toolkit and other helpful resources. Order yours by emailing the National Prevention Week Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tell us about your event. We can help promote your community’s event, and you might even find yourself spotlighted in the yearly National Prevention Week Highlights report.