You can help raise awareness about the importance of positive mental health and substance misuse prevention by hosting prevention events. SAMHSA is here to help. Access and download our Planning Toolkit for templates, tools, and support for participating. If you have questions about how, or when, to get involved, e-mail SAMHSA’s NP National Prevention Week coordinator David Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to register your event on the Community Events page to share your National Prevention Week activities.
Learn More About National Prevention Week
These resources provide you with more detail about the observance.
- National Prevention Week Fact Sheet (PDF | 179 KB)
- National Prevention 2022 Highlights Video (3 minutes, 3 seconds)
Plan Your Event
There are endless ways to bring National Prevention Week to your community. Get ideas for hosting an event that’s right for your community.
- Tips for Planning your Event (PDF | 248 KB)
- Event Planning Checklist (PDF | 170 KB)
- Virtual Events (PDF | 147 KB)
Promote Your Event
There are many ways to promote your National Prevention Week event—from traditional media outreach to social media engagement and local word-of-mouth. Use our promotional tools, organized by topic, to reach the right people in your community.
Tap Your Community
Tap your “inner circle” first, then expand to broader groups, like your mayor’s office, with a request to issue a proclamation about National Prevention Week. These resources will help you get started.
- Tips for Getting the Word Out (PDF | 193 KB)
- Tips for Writing a Proclamation (PDF | 105 KB)
- Sample Proclamation (DOC | 321 KB)
Get in the News
News stories about your organization, event, or how your prevention efforts tie to National Prevention Week are great hooks for the media. Before you reach out to the media in your community, check out some tips and templates and use our sample radio scripts for further exposure.
- Tips for Working with Media (PDF | 137 KB)
- Tips for Writing an Op-Ed (PDF | 106 KB)
- Sample Media Alert (DOC | 309 KB)
- Sample Press Release (DOC | 319 KB)
- Sample Radio Scripts (DOC | 308 KB)
Consider distributing promotional messages or images through multiple social media outlets—especially if you hope to involve youth or young adults. Here are some tips to get you started.
Another great way to capture widespread attention is through a video public service announcement (PSA). Learn more about developing and disseminating successful video PSAs.