NPW webinars provide information and resources to states, SAMHSA Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP) grantees, and local community-based organizations to raise awareness and educate communities on prevention topics.
The webinar series is designed to inform and raise awareness about critical substance use prevention issues, practices and trends while also motivating communities across the country to plan activities and events throughout the year as part of National Prevention Week. The webinar topics build on the year-round conversation about prevention and align with the NPW daily themes.
Click below to register for this year’s webinars, and to watch the archived webinars.
- Tips for Teens: Youth Champions and Resources Engaging Teens in Substance Use Prevention (1 hour, 30 minutes) Slides are also available (PDF | 7 MB)
When: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 2:00–3:30 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar includes information on how SAMHSA’s Tips for Teens series can be used and integrated in youth-to-youth substance use prevention efforts in their own communities. Viewers will hear firsthand from youth champions who are successfully engaging their peers in substance abuse prevention.
- Becoming Prevention Champions in Your Workplaces and Communities (1 hour, 34 minutes) Slides are also available (PDF | 5 MB)
When: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 2:00–3:30 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar will feature a discussion by panelists from different disciplines, organizations, and backgrounds in prevention sharing how they integrate substance misuse prevention into their work and how prevention supports their programs’ missions and goals.
- Improving Opioid Misuse Prevention Literacy between Older Adults and Health Care Providers (1 hour, 27 minutes) Slides are also available (PDF | 6 MB)
When: Thursday, March 28, 2019, 2:00–3:30 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar features a discussion by experts from the opioid misuse health literacy, older adult, and healthcare provider communities regarding effective prevention strategies and approaches for improving understanding and dialogue between older patients and their healthcare providers about opioid use.
- Multi-Level Prevention Strategies to Address Teen E-Cigarette Use (1 hour, 29 minutes) Slides are also available (PDF | 6.9 MB)
When: Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 2:00–3:30 p.m. EST
Summary: This webinar includes the latest data trends related to teen e-cigarette use, challenges in prevention, evidence-based tools and resources, and strategies for curbing e-cigarette use among youth.
- Marketing Impact: How NPW Amplifies Community Prevention Programs, Campaigns, and Initiatives (1 hour, 31 minutes) Slides are also available (PDF | 8.3 MB)
When: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 2:00–3:30 p.m. EST
Summary: This webinar presents effective health communication strategies and evaluation approaches that can help your organization or community to leverage the national platform of SAMHSA’s NPW 2019, as well as other health observances, activities, and events.
- The Intersection of Opioids and Suicide: A Prevention Approach (1 hour, 27 minutes) Slides are also available (PDF | 7.9 MB)
When: Thursday, October 25, 2018, 2:00–3:30 p.m. EDT
Summary: The first webinar in the NPW 2019 webinar series features a discussion about the relationship and intersection between these two growing public health challenges and what prevention strategies and approaches can be used to address them at the national and state level.
- Partnering for Opioid Addiction Prevention (1 hour, 32 minutes)
When: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 1:00–2:15 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar highlights effective collaborations at the local and community levels to prevent opioid addiction and offer practical steps for those who are exploring partnerships with organizations in their community.
- Prevention of Youth Marijuana Use (1 hour, 9 minutes)
When: Thursday, April 19, 2018, 1:00–2:15 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar focuses on the prevention of youth marijuana use. In this webinar, viewers will receive valuable information and resources to help prevent youth marijuana use in their communities as legalization spreads across the country.
- Prevention After Natural Disasters (1 hour, 2 minutes)
When: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 1:00–2:30 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar examines how individuals who experience a natural disaster may be more likely to experience behavioral health issues or misuse substances. Viewers will learn how individuals, organizations, and communities can help promote mental health and prevent substance misuse after these types of events.
- NPW 2018: Start Planning (1 hour, 2 minutes) Slides are also available (PDF | 5.3 MB)
When: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 10:45-12:00 p.m. EDT
Summary: This workshop provides information and resources to help communities and organizations prepare for NPW 2018, along with technical assistance for planning your activities.
- Underage Drinking Prevention Today, Healthier Communities Tomorrow (1 hour, 1 minute)
When: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 1:00-2:00 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar discusses how individuals, organizations, and communities can take action today to prevent underage drinking and promote healthier futures for youth and young adults.
- Opioid Addiction and Prevention (1 hour, 10 minutes)
When: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 1:30–2:30 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar discusses the growing issue of opioid addiction and how partner engagement can support prevention efforts. It features SAMHSA experts and NPW partner American Society of Addiction Medicine.
- Emerging Issues in Tobacco Misuse (1 hour, 3 minutes)
When: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 1:30–2:30 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar discusses the current landscape on tobacco use and addresses emerging issues in tobacco misuse and prevention. It features federal experts and experts from NPW partners.
- NPW 2017 Kickoff Live Webcast (40 minutes)
When: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:00 a.m. EDT
Summary: This is the live webcast of the NPW kickoff event in Washington, DC, and includes remarks from SAMHSA leadership, as well as live snapshots of NPW activities and events from across the country.
- Suicide and Substance Use in Young People (1 hour, 5 minutes)
When: Thursday, April 20, 2017, 1:30–2:45 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar provides an overview on the relationship between suicide and substance misuse among young people and includes best practices in prevention and intervention. It features an NPW partner and other experts in this area.
- How to Get Involved with National Prevention Week 2017 (1 hour, 12 minutes)
When: Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 1:30–2:45 p.m. EDT
Summary: This webinar provides an overview of NPW and the tools and resources available to organizations to help them get involved. It also addresses how to integrate digital and social tactics into events to reach broader audiences.