In addition to the cultural competency requirements for people with LEP or low literacy, there are specific requirements for services for military members and veterans. The following resources are designed to assist primary health care and behavioral health providers who care for current and former service members and their families:
- Community Providers Toolkit from Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Mental Health
- Military Culture Course Modules from the Department of Defense’s (DOD) Center for Deployment Psychology
- Provision of Mental Health Counseling Services Under TRICARE from the Institute of Medicine (IOM)
Requirements From the Criteria
In addition to general requirements for cultural competency, specific requirements apply for veterans:
- 4.k.6. In keeping with the general criteria governing CCBHCs, all behavioral health care is provided with cultural competence.
- Any staff who is not a veteran has training about military and veterans’ culture to be able to understand the unique experiences and contributions of those who have served their country.
- All staff receive cultural competency training on issues of race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, and gender identity.