Improve the delivery of behavioral health services for military members, veterans, and their families with toolkits, directories, and other essential resources developed by SAMHSA and its public and private partners.
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) seeks to raise the standard of care and improve access to services for traumatized children, their families, and communities throughout the United States. NCTSN offers military and veteran families and children resources for educators, family members, professionals, and policy makers.
- Zero Suicide is a key concept of the 2012 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention, a priority of the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention (Action Alliance). The Action Alliance is a project of the Education Development Center- and SAMHSA-supported Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC).
Department of Defense (DoD)
- The Caregiver Resource Directory and other Caregiver Resources empower military caregivers with information about national-level resources and programs specifically for them.
- Military OneSource offers a wide range of individualized consultations, coaching and non-medical counseling for many aspects of military life.
- The National Resource Directory connects wounded warriors, service members, veterans, their families, and caregivers to programs and services that support them.
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- The Community Providers Toolkit connects community providers with information and resources that are relevant to veterans’ health and well-being.
- The Peer Specialist Toolkit (PDF | 1.1 MB) helps Veterans Health Administration medical centers hire and deploy peer specialists who help other veterans get treatment for mental and substance use disorders.
- The Rural Veteran Outreach Toolkit assists VA personnel in collaborating with community partners to reach rural veterans through education and outreach.
- The VA Campus Toolkit for faculty, staff, and administrators shares resources that support student veterans.
- The Veterans Employment Toolkit aims to help employers, managers and supervisors, human resource professionals, and employee assistance program providers relate to and support their employees who are veterans and members of the Reserve and National Guard.
- The VA’s National Strategy for Preventing Veteran Suicide 2018-2028 (PDF | 2.9 MB) is to provide a framework for identifying priorities, organizing efforts, and contributing to a national focus on Veteran suicide prevention.