SAMHSA publications and related resources on underage drinking.
- Family Agreement Form: Avoiding Alcohol – 2013
- Talking to Your Kids About Alcohol: 5 Conversation Goals – 2013
- Tips for Talking to Your Kids About Underage Drinking – 2013
- What You Can Do To Prevent Your Child From Drinking – 2013
Evidence-Based and Best Practices
Find Underage Drinking evidence-based practices by searching SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP).
National Strategies and Initiatives
- Above the Influence’s goal is to help teens stand up to negative pressures, or influences. The more aware you are of the influences around you, the better prepared you will be to face them, including the pressure to use drugs and alcohol.
- “Talk. They Hear You.” is SAMHSA’s underage drinking prevention campaign and helps parents and caregivers start talking to their children early—as early as 9 years old—about the dangers of alcohol.
- Every 2 years, SAMHSA sponsors national Town Hall Meetings to educate communities about underage drinking and to mobilize them around its prevention. Help continue the downward trend in underage drinking by hosting or attending a meeting in your area.
- We Don’t Serve Teens has tools and information to help parents and others reduce teen drinking and related harm.
- Alcohol Policy Information System
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America
- DC Children and Youth Investment Trust Corporation
- Faces & Voices of Recovery
- Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Prevention of Underage Drinking
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
- National Alcohol Beverage Control Association
- The National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors, Inc.
- National Conference of State Liquor Administrators
- The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- The National Liquor Law Enforcement Association
- National Parent Teacher Association (National PTA)
- The National Prevention Network
- The National Youth Recovery Foundation
- Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Rockers In Recovery
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
- We Save Lives
- Young People in Recovery
State and Local Initiatives
Visit the websites of some of the 2013 STOP Act Grant awardees to learn how they are working to prevent underage drinking in their own communities:
- Center for Prevention and Counseling
- Council on Alcohol and Substance Abuse of Livingston County
- Personal Solutions, Inc.
- Prevention Works
- Shasta County Chemical People
- Shelby County Drug-Free Coalition
- Student Assistance Services
Media campaigns developed by states, jurisdictions, and national organizations:
- Be a Jerk (Hawaii)
- One Nation (Guam)
- Parent Media Campaign (Maine)
- Speak Now! (Colorado)
- Talk 2 Prevent (New York)