The Program to Achieve Wellness (PAW) facilitates and promotes the implementation of wellness best practices for people with mental or substance use disorders.
Putting wellness into practice and highlighting the science behind effective wellness techniques, the Program to Achieve Wellness strives to promote recovery and holistic well-being for people across the country.
By collaborating with people with lived experience in recovery from mental or substance use disorders, those with behavioral health conditions who have experienced homelessness, as well as national organizations, communities, states, and tribes, the PAW team, including staff, consultants, and subcontractors, disseminates effective tools and resources for achieving and sustaining various dimensions of wellness.
The PAW is guided by a dynamic Steering Committee with demonstrated expertise in, and passion for, supporting the wellness of individuals and families recovering from mental or substance use disorders.
SAMHSA’s Wellness Initiative raises awareness of health disparities among people with behavioral health conditions and the general population. Adding to this work, the PAW:
- develops wellness products and tools, like a mobile messaging application or web-based training packages, to operationalize wellness
- provides technical assistance via telephone, email, or web-based technology to disseminate tools and practices for achieving wellness goals
- engages individuals with lived experience, national organizations, communities, states, and tribes in order to accomplish program objectives
Recognition of Excellence in Wellness
Through SAMHSA’s Program to Achieve Wellness, organizations and communities will be acknowledged for their exemplary wellness efforts with the Recognition of Excellence in Wellness (the Recognition).
The application period for the 2018 Recognition closed on June 22, 2018. The 2018 winners were selected by a committee of national experts for their meaningful work to improve the cardiovascular health of those living with mental and/or substance use disorders. SAMHSA is pleased to congratulate:
- Baltic Street, Brooklyn, New York
- The Guidance Center of Westchester, Mount Vernon, New York
- Mental Health Community Centers, Inc., Sarasota, Florida
- Saratoga Community Health Center, Saratoga Springs, New York
These programs were judged to be exemplary in impact, replicability, and innovation.
The Program to Achieve Wellness will showcase the 2018 Recognition awardees in an upcoming webinar. This webinar will take place on August 1 at 1:00 p.m. Register for the webinar today!
The Program to Achieve Wellness can provide assistance through the dissemination of evidence-based and practice-tested policies and programs in order to help the design and implementation of wellness efforts.
National Wellness Week
National Wellness Week is held during the third week of September, and shares the message that practicing wellness provides an essential foundation for good health. For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Celebrate National Wellness Week in September with National Wellness Week resources.